Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High velocity 12 guage loads
 Login/Join

posted
I found my Dads tattered old Don Zutz book titled "Handloading for Hunters", circa 1977.

Mr. Zutz listed a Dupont factory 1,550 fps, 1-1/8 oz load, 39 gr of SR4756, but the SP-12 Remington wad is way too tall to attempt a crimp start. An RP-12 wad would work fine, but I'm afraid of an unknown increase in chamber pressure.

Has anyone tried this load, or know of any other high speed low mass loads?

We're 3 shot turkey shooting up to 75 yard distances, & I wanted to try a faster load before the bird hits the ground.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
look at the web sites of the various powder manufacturers/importers

Here is a load from Accurate Powder that is 1450FPS. I didn't see anything over that.

This is Hodgdon powder at 1585 FPS (about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Just as a general point of interest, there has been a lot of research done that shows the faster the shot column the more holes in the pattern.

When dealing with max loads in shotgun, DO NOT DEVIATE from any listed component. Changing to a different primer can cause an over pressure condition.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting at 75 yards, your worry is pattern, more than speed. At that distance, it's a crap-shoot anyway trying to break clays with a #7.5 pellet.

Try putting together some buffered loads, like the ones from Tom Roster's book (available at Precision Reloading). They aren't particularly fast, but they pattern very, very well. Even though, at 75 yards, it's still a craps shoot. I put some of his loads together, and they patterned very close to 90%. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if you are shooting real turkeys or the game where you shoot a target with a turkey head printed on it. Here goes anyway.

Fast loads are thought to blow the pattern with lead shot. You will have to pattern your gun. Steel is a different amimal, there high speed helps. What really helps is using lead or tungsten. The guys that are winning the turkey shoot game are shooting tungsten.

The muzzle velocity will have little effect on the speed of the pellet at long range. The air resistance goes up exponentially as the speed increases. The way to have greater down range energy, per pellet, is to use a larger pellet at a normal velocity. The larger pellet has a better ballistic coeffecent. You of course, need to use more of them. So you might go with 1 1/2 oz. of #6 at 1200 fps, for instance. I don't to the turkey game but, my intuition would be to heave as much shot as possible. Keep the velocity low and it might give similar recoil as your super hot light payload. You then have you energy and sufficient pellet density.

posted Hide Post
Thanks to all.
Rusty, I will look at the latest burn rate chart & see where Longshot fits in for comparison to SR-4756.

Dutch, I've found #5 shot is most effective. #6 works next best.

Scota45, We do "eliminator" or "cut-throat", where we start with 25-35 people side by side.
Three shooters involved per clay thrown, first shooter calls bird, & if the first shooter misses, the second shoots, then the third. Third shooter eliminates the fist & second of he breaks it. Thus the third shooter gets a bird that is falling fast & up to 75-85 yards out at that point...a slow load only gets you dirt clouds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hotshot, Thanks for the expalnation of your shooting game!!! I read the first post and thought......not a turkey at 75 yards!!!! Should have read the post slower the first time!! Have fun!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of fast 12ga load out there now.
even factory loads over 1500 fps.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote