New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for 45 ACP
 Login/Join

Picture of Sudsy30
posted
Anyone have any good working loads for the ole 45.....

Posts: 15 | Location: Sunny Florida | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4.9gr. Hodgdon Clays/Rainier 185 flat point/ F150
1.25 OAL/one-third turn taper crimp works great in my Colt. Easy on the cases, too.

Didn't shoot worth a damn at first, I couldn't get the bullets to seat straight (although they're plated, the lead is very soft.) A Hornady straight-line seater solved that problem. I put a spring above the sliding sleeve in mine to give it some "feel."

Posts: 82 | Location: SW FL | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.0 grains W231 behind a 230 grain hard cast round nose bullet lit by CCI #300 Large Pistol Primer. This load chronographed at 870 ft/sec from my S&W 4506-1.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are you wanting to do with these loads? I have a lot of loads, but they could be bowling pin shoots or self defense loads.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Sudsy30
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are you wanting to do with these loads? I have a lot of loads, but they could be bowling pin shoots or self defense loads.

J.... just purchased it, have not ordered dies as yet,.... just trying to get ducks in a row...Shooting factory 230g at range...later will be defense and not sure what else.

Suds

Posts: 15 | Location: Sunny Florida | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I have a Lee six hole mould for the TL-452-230-TC bullet. Tumble lubed with Lee Liquid Alox and sized .452" they shoot well over 4.5 grains of Nitro 100 (a close equivalent of Red Dot.) About equals factory hardball ballistics. I'm using them for practice, but they'd certainly do the job for defensive use. (I use factory hardball for that, because it's about as reliable as the sun coming up.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Undertaker
posted Hide Post
4 grains of Bullseye, 230 grain RN bullet

Posts: 13 | Location: Ontario | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
8.5 gr Power Pistol with a 185gr Nosler HP or 4.8gr VV N320 with a Penn 200 gr LSWC for paper.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My preference is 4.6 gr Titegroup with a 230 gr Hornady XTP JHP. I have been considering developing a load for 185 gr JHP lately just have not got a round to it yet.

Posts: 262 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote