Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions For .257 Bullet For Game?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted
About 25 years ago I bought a nice old pre '64 Model 70 that had the factory barrel rechambered from 250-3000(sacrilege!!!!) to 257 Roberts RCBS Improved (28 degree shoulder rather than the 40 degree of the Ackley version). It obviously had the slower 250-3000 factory twist, and would not stabilize 117 or 120 grain bullets (they were tipping when they hit the target, producing partial bullet profile holes). Accuracy with 75-90 grain bullets was fine at .75 to 1" at 100 yards. I did not try 100 grain bullets at the time, and the rifle has been in my gun safe gathering dust since then.

I recently decided to get it out and try working up a load for deer again. I am looking for suggestions for bullets that would be short enough to work with the slow twist Winchester factory barrel, but still hold together at 257 RCBS Improved velocity (close to 25/06 speed) while providing potentially good accuracy.

I expect that 100 grain bullets would be marginally stabilized, especially if they are long for caliber, so this probably rules out partition and monometal bullets in this weight (100 grain semi-spitzer or round nose might work, but I have not tried them yet). Would anyone care to relate their experience with sub-100 grain .257 bullets for deer-sized game?

Thanks,
Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
I just finished testing for pressure and accuracy the 100 gr. Nosler Partition and will load it as my deer hunting round until I find something better. Accuracy is .7 out of my .25-06 and I believe this bullet would be a good one to start with in your rifle. The 100 gr.Barnes had usable hunting accuracy, but I prefer tighter grouping and suspect the bullet length had something to do with the poor group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
mbogo375,
The 90gr. Sierra HPBT should be just what the doctor ordered. My cousin uses that bullet in his .257 Ackley and believe me it does a nice job,no tracking with this one. I saw him shoot a rather large Mule deer one day at about 125yds. and have never seen a deer die any quicker. Should work in your rifle. Try a box and if you don't like them i'll buy whats left.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the 100 grn Hot Cores. They have a short ogive kind of like a semi spitzer and a greater bearing surface than something like a hornady or a bt. They shoot well in my gun.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies. I checked my .257 bullet supply and found several brands that I have used for other 25's, and will try those before going lighter. Hopefully they will stabilize sufficiently [Smile] .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try to stay with flatbased bullets in the slow twist. Hornady 100gr has been mainstay in my 25-06 and 257R for years. Even the slow twist should handle the 100 and 115gr Nosler partitions. Save time and heartbreak, Ballistic Tips and SST's are not deer bullets, especially if they hit bone.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 100gr. Nosler Partition is a great bullet. I load them in a .257 Wby.Mag. and they hold together and drive through the way a good bullet is suppose to perform. They have always been sub-MOA. They should do a good job for you as well.

Just the way I see it,,,,, [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 79 | Location: Colorado (out in the sticks) | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote