THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Bersin Measuring and Adjustment Tool, Opinions Please.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bersin Measuring and Adjustment Tool, Opinions Please.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for opinions, feed back, and evaluations from anyone who owns or has first hand knowledge of the Bersin Ammunition Measuring and Adjustment tool.

I have been debaiting for a long time now on weather or not to buy a Bersin Ammunition Meausuring and Adjustment Tool. At first glance it strikes me as replacing several quite expensive tools, as well as being capable of elliminating eliminating run-out.

I at present have no tools that will measuer for cartrage concentricity aka run-out, let alone correct it if it exsists in my reloads. If I do buy a concentricty gauge like the ones for sale at Sinclier Int. and it turns out my reloads do suffer from significant run-out, the amount of money I would have to spend to correct this problem when combined with the cost of a concentricity gauge surpasses the cost of the Bersin toll considerably.

So my questions are, is the Bersin tool a high quality well made tool worth the $$$, and does it do what it claims to, are there any draw backs in the use of the tool, and is it easy to use.

Graet thanks to any who help me out with this and for the time it takes to do so.

One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
Just to answer your queastion, I ordered one and it arrived today. It is a high quality unit, made of delrin and brass.

I got the varmint version, which has a pivoting tip that better conforms to the bullet nose. I took rounds with .004" runout and nudged the nose until there was no runout. O runout per my Sinclair concentricity gage.

Is it worth $250? Yes.

Does it change neck tension? No.

Is it easy to use? Yes.

Will I buy another one? Yes.

No runout on every round! Yippeeeee!!!!!!!!!

I will shoot some groups and report the results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ralph for your input and for the time it took you to do so.

One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
More info:

The unit body is made of delrin, not steel or aluminum as it appears in the pictures. This is actually good because brass does not attach itself to delrin, as it would to a metal in a high friction application such as this.

I also discovered that neck hardness and neck tension limits the amount of adjustment this unit is able to perform. I loaded some rounds last night and one had .0065" runout. The bersin tool was able to bring it down to .0025", but no more than that. I was not able to keep the round from riding out of it's seated position in the tool's chamber. The harder I cranked the adjustment knob, the more the round wanted to come out of the tool.

This does not occurr with soft necs and/or light neck tension. I was able to remove all runout from those rounds.