New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet seating depth
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm just getting back into reloading after a loooong layoff, and when I last did it there wasn't an internet so I didn't have the chance to be so well informed. Now, here's my question:

I loaded up a bunch of A-Max bullets for my 30-06, setting the seating die to give the same overall length as for some factory cartridges. Then when I loaded some Swift A-Frames, the bullets are seated so deep that their seating grove is not visible, and they are close to 1/32" less in OAL. Will I need to adjust the seating die for every different bullet I use?

Posts: 66 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Stoney point makes a guage that attaches to calipers to consistantly load to a given distance to your lands.

I'd totally ignore COAL except to insure it's not too long for your magazine.

For a hunting rifle the bullet seating (for the most point) is a way overworked issue.

Try to load the A-max bullets close to the lands of the rifling.....try to load the A-Frames to the cannelure and snug a medium crimp on them.

This is one of the most misunderstood parts of reloading.

I'm goint to say that if your round fits the magazine and after being fed to the chamber and fully chambered and then removed, there's no marks from the lands on the bullet you're in good shape

Try to always load at least one diameter deep and do the prescribed tests with a loaded round less the powder and primer.

Hornady's loading manual explains this very well with photos.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McInnis, if you're unsure, stick to what the reloading books tell you regarding COAL. Indeed, every brand/weight of bullet is a little different. It is even more important to do this if you don't have the tools, or skill to establish each OAL for the calibres/guns you own.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are definitely going to want to adjust the seating die for each bullet.
Better yet, get a seater for each bullet, and fix it where it goes.
Reason being, after playing with the COL you can find a seat that shoots better, sometimes remarkably so, than .005" either side of it. You may also find that a bullet will seat at, say, 3.3" with one bullet, and shoot really well with a certain charge, and then another bullet, under the same die setting, comes to 3.4", or even stays under 3.34" but jams into the rifling, because of a different ogive. Lots of variables.
This is one of the main benefits of reloading.
Seaters aren't all that expensive, especially if you shop used, and you can save your favorite for the bullet you most turn to.
How many weights will you be serious baout? Maybe two?
The rest are just for playing usually, and can all share a die.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote