THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Novice needs help. 358 winchester load for close cover

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Novice needs help. 358 winchester load for close cover
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am getting ready to start reloading. I have been aquiring the necessary equipment, but have been in the reading stages.
The first round I want to start reloading is the 358 winchester, for a Browning BLR.
I have read quite a bit about the cartridge, have read a few reloading manuals about appropriate loads-but I still have certain questions that none of the literature I am reading addresses, or the topic between the books is often in conflict.
I will be hunting in conditions where 30 to 75 yard shots will be the norm, while a shot as far as 150 yards MIGHT present itself. But the reality is that I have NEVER had a shot on a deer beyond 100 yards. I have read articles in which the writer says "slow" is best, when hunting close cover. Is this true, and if this is the case, should I be focusing more on the minimum loads that the manuals provide, or am I way off base? Lets say hypothetically that I work a load, and the minumum end, and the maximum are identical, accuracy wise- do I go with the minimum? Somewhere in between?
Another aspect I am having difficulty with is bullet size. I have read several articles which say that the 358 winchester is more affective with heavier bullets. I have also read that in close cover shooting, you want to go with a heavier bullet. But the manuals I have read so far say that a 180 grain or 200 grain bullet should be used for deer-what they do not address, is how far away is that deer. If you are shooting at only fifty yards, would a heavier bullet be more appropriate, than if you were shooting at 200 yards?
I was thinking about 225 GRAIN BULLET- is there something wrong with that choice, under the conditions I outlined? I realize there are differing opinions on the slow fast close cover thing, but I would appreciate any opinions, advice on the subject.

Posts: 156 | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 220g Speer flatpoints over 50g of Win 748 out of my Rem M78 bolt rifle. I hunt deer in the woods where ranges are from real close to 75 yards or so. I get big holes, complete penetration, and, large short blood trails if they go anywhere. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was thinking about 225 GRAIN BULLET-

You was thinking about the right bullet for the cartridge...so don't go over-thinkin' it. Wink

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 180 Speer and have used the 200 gr Silvertip. Don't worry about the short range.

A 180 gr bullet at 2700 fps is good for deer.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite load for the .358 is a 225gr Nos partition in front of 47.0grs of H-335. Win cases and primers.
This load is very good close up and retains velocity and energy well downrange approaching 300 yds.
If your rifle shoots it well I think you will be happy with it.
For general purpose shooting and practice I use the same load but with the Sierra 225gr SpitzerBT.

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .350 Remington rather than a .358; however, the bullets are the same.

Given what you're doing--deer at relatively short ranges--my first choice would probably be the 220 gr. Speer. If I was hunting heavier game, I'd look at the 225 Nosler (which, in truth, would be fine for deer, too).

As far as whether "slow is best," I wouldn't put too much stock in that; it's probably better to say "slow is adequate." Start with the lighter loads and work upward, paying attention to which provides the desired degree of accuracy. All things being equal, I tend to go with the hottest SAFE load (and yes, I'm one of those conservative folks who believes the manuals) that also provides good accuracy.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to www.35cal.com. There's some pretty good info there. Especially, check out the article by Paco Kelly on the ,358.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Starting to feel a little more at ease.

Posts: 156 | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote