New
Find
Notify
Tools

large rifle vs. magnum large rifle primers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got an older Speer Manual the other day and was looking up my favorite caliber ... 7x57mm. I use H414 exclusively and 160 grain bullets as well in my CZ 550 American. Cases are Remington. Anywho ... in every load listed in the Speer, whenever it lists H414, or Win. 760 there is a little star beside the load denoting the use of magnum primers. I have been using Federal 210 primers exclusively as well. If I am getting exceptional accuracy now, what would be the reason to switch to a magnum primer and would it be necessary for me to do so, especially with the 7x57mm Mauser? Thanks ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I use nothing but Winchester WLR primers in all the 7x57 loads I put together...regardless of powder.

Never had a problem...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are using Federal 210s, I would not worry about it.

They will ignite all the H 414 you can get in a 7 x 57 case.
Don't overload it and blow it up tho trying, lol

cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
With mag. vs. non mag. primers I have noticed a difference in the burning of IMR7383 and in WCC846 and that was in the 7X57 and others. Played a role in getting rid of some click bangs when using gas checked bullets also.

Those astrises in the Speer manual were put there for a good reason based on evidence from testing. because of this they may have established a general rule for ball powders that were relatively new to reloading at that time. It is obvious today that mag. primers are not absolutly necessary in all of Speers recommended loadings. The other side of the coin shows that using mag. primers isn't a bad thing or even more expensive.I've got about 5000 WLR primers left. Once they are gone I'll completely switch over to mag. primers only ,just to get rid of one more variable. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the CCI-250 magnum primer with H-414. It has been very accurate for me, so why change?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Follow the link. I posted some of my results of testing magnum versus non-magnum rifle primers. In this case it was the 30-06. I doubt if there would be a HUGE difference in results though.

Magnum Rifle primers vs. Non-magnum Rifle primers

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote