New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 info
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got my youngest son a CZ American in that caliber for his 21st birthday. Have ordered dies and components from Graf's -- consisting of RCBS dies, Graf brass (rumors are that their 9.3x62 brass us made by Privi Partizan, anybody know for sure?), a box of 250-grain Accubonds, and a box of 286-grain Norma Alaskan (they had a good price on them, and I understand that they are very, very soft.)

Now, what is the "go-to" powder for the 9.3? the manuals are all over the place (as are loads in the "Share Your Loads" forum).

Standard Large Rifle primers (I'm a Federal 210 kind of guy)?

Any reloading info on the 9.3 is appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma 202 and 203-B,

are great for the round,

I belive they are similar to, the same as the powders in the reloader series.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Hit my fastest, not most accurate but sufficient, velocities w/ 286 gr Part with Big Game. Same load John Barsnes uses. I took it to Alaska last year for Grizzly but shot my 62" moose w/ my Ruger NMBH 45 Colt instead.

Varget, Rel 15, H4895 all good powders.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo GA,

We need more Fathers like you; IMO a great present for your Son!

thumb

My 9.3x62 loves Nosler 250 gr. Ballistic Tips and I hope you have the same success with the Accubonds, it'll make for some joy, for sure. I'm gonna have to try 'em soon because my supply of the discontinued BT's is dwindling fast.

I use VV-N-140 and H-4895 was runner-up but not very far behind, coulda been a toss-up acutally. Not speedy but unbelievably accurate - H-4350.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple 9,3x62 rifles, the cartridge is one of those neat rounds that seems to work well with what ever you pour in for powder.

I use Varget, I know others that use RL15 and Biggame. We're all happy with our choices. Smiler

The Nosler Partition seems to be the bullet of choice for high dollar hunting. I've had good luck with Hornady's 286gr bullet for targets and whitetail deer but they need to be seated out longer than the cannelure would indicate.

Hope your son enjoys a neat rifle. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From my research, it seems that I could not go wrong with Varget and Re 15.

What velocities should I shoot for with the two bullets I described above?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick_R "introduced" me to the 9,3x62. Got the first one cheap an ARbay. Built the second one from a VZ.24 action. Both have been to Africa.

Great chambering! Works very, very well on game. Have literally knocked over Warthog, Bush Pig, Reed Buck, Wildebeast, Whitetails, and feral pigs (in Texas).

Graf brass loaded with Nosler 286 gr Partitions, 57.0 gr RL-15, and WLR primers have been my mainstay load. Is accurate and gets 2400+ fps in both my 24" barrels.

Not sure if I should "thank" Rick or not ... the 9,3s have spent more time in the field than any of my other rifles Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to sday that R-15 is the most popular powder for the 9.3x62. That said I use BigGame. 65gr of BigGame and 286 Partitions is a tough combo to beat.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RL15 has been very accurate in my CZ 9.3X62. The Graf takes the same load as PRVI brass and seems to be the same. With either headstamp it is good stuff. I've had one batch go 14 loads with no failures. Both Nosler 286 partition and Hornady 286 Interlocks are sub one inch accurate in mine. The 286 PRVI roundnose is a good cheap practice and deer bullet. Standard primers are the way to go no need for magnums.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use IMR 4064, Grafs brass and 250 grain triple shocks in mine.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grafs also sells the 285 grain Privi bullets for $29 per 100. Not sure how they do on game but they are really accurate suckers in this caliber.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote