THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Beam Scale and Powder Measure Suggestions.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
I'm looking at several used beam scales on Ebay: Redding, Dillon, RCBS, and Lyman. Is there much difference in them and which would you recommend? (I have a Lee now, but am unhappy with it.)

Also, I have a Lee powder measure and have been pretty satisfied with it, but have been thinking about a Redding 3 powder measure. Does anyone have any experience with it and how it compares to the Lee?

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have and use both RCBS and Reddding scales and powder measures. They work great. The Redding measure is light years ahead of the Lee.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of those RCBS Dillon Redding work just dandy , don't know about Lyman as I don't own one .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with an accessory kit from Lyman many years ago. I sold the scale at a gun show and moved up to RCBS's 10-10 for the extra capacity, but I did keep the old #55 powder measure. True the #55 can be a pain in the butt to adjust, but it flat works. FWIW, I prefer the 10-10 and Redding's BR powder measure to all others. I also have Dillon's electronic terminator scale, but find old habits hard to break.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the most accurate is NON-magnetic redding. or get a Denver Insts. at $500.00.

Posts: 54 | Location: georgia | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have used my lyman #55 powder thower and stand and the lyman scale for many years and have no plans of ever changeing to anything else.....they work great.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the most accurate is NON-magnetic

Barry, I wonder why you say that?

I mean the magnetic effect is litterally non-existant when the beam stops moving. That's just a fact of physics and is why ALL modern beam scale designs use magnetic damping.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the most accurate beam scale is is the lee scale but you guys seem to frown on the more affordable reloading tools.... i love all the lee stuff i have... too bad they stopped making the lee speed dies... i have two sets of those and they work great on single stage presses like i use....

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I know this will rub some the wrong way, and some will simply refuse to agree but, all of the scales, balance or digital, sold by the major reloading tool makers are warrented to 1/10th grain accuracy, no better. All of them! You can get a scale capable of handling heavier wgts or other features, but they all do the same job in 99.% of the cases.

I have been useing a RCBS 10-10 for years and like it. My dads old 505 is still going strong after nearly 50 yrs. I believe Lyman is still, and RCBS scales are built by Oahas and relabled. I also have a Pact digital, but prefer the balance scales for powder charges, you may not.

The best scales can go south, get a set of check wgts and use them when ever you set-up or re-adjust you scale. Lyman, RCBS, Dillion ect sell them for a fair inexpensive price.

Pick a color you like and buy yourself a scale.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pick a color you like and buy yourself a scale.

And that's the TRUTH! People get far to wrapped up in brand loyalty, with very little justification.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better yet, upgrade out of the 18th century and into the 20th if not the 21st with a Digital scale/dispenser combo. You'll not be sorry.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornI've got two Reddings. One I've used for more than 51 years. The other I never used. I've destroyed two electronic scales and have another that has never measured powder. My Lyman 1200 is seldom used. Just information***use it as you will fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lots of brands and colors in my beam scales, but I think they are all made by Ohaus.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Have the RCBS 5-10 that came with with my Rock
Chucker, has never failed me, believe most ebeam scales are pretty equal, how you dial in to 1/10 gr sets them apart

IMO, stay away from digital unless you are into mass reloading and want to save time

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote