THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crazy thing happened while impact moly coating!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last night I put a batch of 150 (.308) win power points in the tumbler and "impact" moly coated them for 2 hours with midway moly.

When I took them out of the tumbler I nocticed that they had a real sharp looking tip instead of the blunt pile of lead that sits at the top of the jacket. OK I thought, they must have "lost lead" while tumbling and even though they look sharp they will still be the same overall length.

WRONG--THEY GREW BY .040"!!!!!!!!!!!

They went from 1.046" long to 1.095".

Then I looked at some hornady I had moly coated and the same thing happened.

ALL this means that if you don't have a bullet comparator (or don't have the room in your clip) and you didn't know your bullet grew in length you just changed your real seating depth by .040".

Wierd--and I guess not all that cool. Something more to consider in the world of reloading.

HOW the hell do they grow????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Check the diameter, are they still 0.308"? Curious no kidding.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
same thing has happened to me. Dia and weight stayed the same. My guess would be the noses get reformed into a sharp point and they roll and get vibrated on the bottom of the tumbler.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote