THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Anyone modified a case for Stoney Point OAL gauge?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anyone modified a case for Stoney Point OAL gauge?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I necked up a .223 case to 6X45 a few years ago. I then took my dremel and just started inside reaming the case. I guess I could have used my Forester tool on hindsight but a little grind and try gave me a case that works fine for my needs.

Greg

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yikes, I'll bet they will! $30???? Just buy the tap--MSC, less than $10--then you can make all of them you want, using a fired case from whatever rifle. That will always be better than the one they supply, but the degree of "better" may not mean a whole lot in most guns, but it is easy to do and after the 3rd one, you are money ahead, plus not waiting on them.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have the tap and drill.

Buy one that's already done.

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
At the store near my house the cases are only $4.50 a piece. Hardly worth the trouble of making your own.

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
I am sure you could modify your case, but why not just order the right one and wait the whole 4 days to get it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
bowhuntrrl,

If you have a 7mm button you could put on your 270 WSM die, lube the hell out of the neck inside and resize. With only .007 difference, you might get a "close enough" fit for length measurement. Unless, of course, the neck thickness would make it too thick to fit in your chamber. If you want a closer fit, a "J" drill is .277 - that, and a little fine sandpaper,(if needed) should fix you up.

Just a couple of thoughts on how I might approach it, without a lot of equipment to work with. (Sold my lathe & Mill years ago when I quit building ML's)

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
At the risk of sounding sarcastic, I'm going to ask a question. < !--color--> DID ANYONE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THE ORIGINAL POST???? < !--color--> I bought a case, I was sent the wrong case . I can't return it and need to modify it. If I just neck the .300 WSM case in my .270 WSM die, how can I ream the neck out to work?? The second option was to modify the case I have (.300 WSM). The whole idea is to not have to WAIT while I order in another case. By the way, the WSM series of cases are more like $6.50, and not everyone has them!!!!

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote