THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Virgin Brass..Bent case mouths. Newbie needs help please!!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virgin Brass..Bent case mouths. Newbie needs help please!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Folks,

Well, I began my maiden voyage in reloading tonight and it ain't starting out so good. I'm trying prep some Virgin Winchester brass (.375 Win.). I have a bag of 50 and quite a few of the case mouths are bent/dented right out of the bag.

I lubbed them all and ran them thru my Lee Full Legnth Sizing Die and they are still dented/ out of round. Is this normal? Am I missing something here?

This is my first attempt at reloading but I thought the sizing die would round them out. I installed the die in my Lee Classic 4 hole Turret Press according to their directions. I deactivated the auto indexing feature and am using the press as a single stage for the time being.

Can anyone offer some guidence on what I'm doing wrong, or, how to correct the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Y.B.

Am I missing something here?

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The expander ball on the decapping pin should iron out any out of roundness.

Is there an expander ball on your decapping pin in the sizing die?.

The decapping pin should unscrew out of the top of the die. Or you have to remove the lock nut and unscrew it out the bottom of the die.

Measure the expander ball (or plug) and make sure that it is .375" in diameter. When you screw it back in make sure the decapping pin protrudes from the bottom of the die enough to go through the case and will push the old primer out the bottom. Don't screw it down so far that the expander ball hits the bottom of the case though.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of barefootarkie
posted Hide Post
It's not uncommon for new brass to be dented at the case mouth. I use an old brass plumb bob to work out the dent, then run it through the sizing die. Jimmy

...read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and I learned much from both of their styles. (J.B.)

Posts: 51 | Location: Redfield,Ar | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Not only should the die smooth out the dents, but seating the bullet and fireforming the case in your chamber will removed them as well. These dents are quite normal and will not be a problem unless very excessive. Good luck!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guy's.

I hadn't ran them thru the Expander die yet when I posted this, but that solved the problem.

I don't know what I was thinking the Expander die was for, but I was just assuming that the sizer die would round out the case mouth.

Thanks again for all the input, it's much appreciated.

Y.B.

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I have brass like that, I actually remove the decapping pin and the expander ball...

I resize them, and there is nothing for the dent to hang up on and destroy the brass...

then I resize them again with the expander ball back in to set the neck diameter to the correct settings...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .375 Win is a 3-die set. I'd just use the expander on new cases. If they are primed, I'd remove the decapping pin first.
Bagged cases can't prevent mouth dents, but they are harmless usually.

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ewin:
The .375 Win is a 3-die set. I'd just use the expander on new cases. If they are primed, I'd remove the decapping pin first.
Bagged cases can't prevent mouth dents, but they are harmless usually.

I forgot that that was a three die set for straight cases! homer

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I always resize sll new cases. Full length!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found this is getting to be a regular thing with Winchester brass. I have since switched to Remington and have had far fewer problems. My last batch of Winchester brass was in .25-06 and I had to toss 6 cases out of 100 because I couldn't even get the expander ball thru them. 6% scrap to me isn't acceptable in new brass because of poor material handling. Remington boxes their brass instead of useing poly bags like Winchester. This eliminates a lot of the problem. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote