THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    300 WSM factory ammo OAL in 200gr bullets ????????

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 WSM factory ammo OAL in 200gr bullets ????????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody know what the Winchester Factory ammo in a 200gr bullet has for over all lenngth? My son just received some 200gr Accubonds today just wondering hwo deep to set them. I have found using the factory OAL works well for 180gr bullets but it might be tough to stuff a 200gr in to that depth. Thanks for any help!

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NorthSniper,

You can probably get that from their web site. I would be interested in why you would use the 200 over a 180. I spent months experienting between 150 - 250 grain in my 300 WSM for a recent elk hunt and the 180 performed the best. Velocity, accuracy and down range "impact" (pick a way to measure since few tend to agree) was greater by the books.

Harley

Posts: 36 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
The OAL per my Nosler manual (which is quoting S.A.M.M.I.) is 2.86". I don't know if the Accubond can be loaded to that length in a 300WSM though, I haven't tried it yet. My 300WSM likes about 2.95" with 180 Gr. Ballistic Tip and Hornady SST bullets, which is just off the rifling and still feeds flawlessly. Do you know how to check the length to the rifling in your particular rifle? Most reloading manuals will walk you through it.

-CH

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
99% of the time you can fit the round to function in the magazine and thats as long as you can use it and it will still be short for factory throats, so it makes little difference unless you shoot them single shot.......

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harley, Just wondering what you mean by the 180gr performed better than the 200gr Accubond? I'm just starting to play with the Accubonds now so I'm curious as to what your experiences where. The 180gr TSX shoots very nicely out of the 300 WSM thought I'd try the Accubonds they also appear to be a very good bullet. I thought the Accubonds might perform well for my son out to 250 or 300yds it's not likely he will be shooting at any game beyond that.

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the TSX is shooting good your quest is over, I think they are the best terminal bullet out there. You might want to consider trying a lower wt bullet, you will still get the terminal performance with less recoil.

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote