Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 brass from 25-06 brass
 Login/Join

posted
Hello to all of you - great message board. I have some 25-06 brass and would like to resize it to 30-06. Can this be done simply with a 30-06 full length die or do I have to go to an intermediate step like a 270 neck die?? I am fairly new to reloading and have not tried to make one case from another. Thanks for the help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done it, but I expanded the necks in a 7mm Remington Magnum die first. That took a fair amount of force, but it seemed to work. The resulting case length was about 2.460, however. I fired the cases a few times and there is no problem. I've done the same thing with .270 and .280 brass, too, though those cases needed trimming when finished.

If I were you, however, I'd probably hang on to those .25-06 cases. At least from where I live, .30-06 brass is everywhere, but .25-06 is relatively rare. You never know when you or a buddy may need .25-06 brass...

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
hogsaw65,
Welcome to the site. It's a pretty good one.
I've found that using a die for a larger case to expand case necks may result in some ruined cases. Sinclair sells a tapered expander button the works quite well. Going from 25 to 30 cal may be a problem though. You might consider doing it in steps. 25 cal. to 28 cal and the 28 to 30 cal. will work much easier on both you and the cases. Good luck. [Smile]

[ 05-09-2003, 23:59: Message edited by: BigBob ]

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the help. I will probably just hang onto the brass. It was more of a hypothetical question if a decided to move up to a 30-06 from a 25-06.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its an easy step but don't forget you have the peril of someone possibly loading one of them in a 25-06 and lighting it off. About then, reloading and rifle shooting would stop being as much fun as it used to be................. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote