Find
Notify
Tools

BATFE Curio & Relic FFL
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got the form. I've got the $40.

But I'm hesitant to apply because of all the horror stories of their jack-booted thugs rasing holy hell with FFL license holders. Is it worth the hassle to save a few bucks when ordering from places like MidwayUSA who give discounts to C&R FFL dealers?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I had a C&R for several years and have not had any issues.
I had an FFL for years until the Clinton bunch made it so difficult.
as far as price breaks the only way to really get them here in ohio is to have a vendors license and pay your fair share of taxes. we had to file each quarter, what a greedy bunch/
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definately worth it. I have had an 03 for about 6 years and have never heard anything from "Jackboot". It is my understanding that, if they want to audit you, you can elect to do it at their office. BTW, the 3 year cost is $30.00 as I recall. You will get that back quickly via vendor discounts.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So do you have to record the stuff you already own?

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
I've got the form. I've got the $40.

But I'm hesitant to apply because of all the horror stories of their jack-booted thugs rasing holy hell with FFL license holders. Is it worth the hassle to save a few bucks when ordering from places like MidwayUSA who give discounts to C&R FFL dealers?

I have had a C&R for 8 yrs I believe with no problems. It is worth having!! Wink

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:

No only guns you buy using your C&R FFL.

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PJ:
Definately worth it. I have had an 03 for about 6 years and have never heard anything from "Jackboot". It is my understanding that, if they want to audit you, you can elect to do it at their office. BTW, the 3 year cost is $30.00 as I recall. You will get that back quickly via vendor discounts.
Pete

You are correct, the 3 year fee is $30. My mistake.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep your log book 100%, they don't like it if you don't. I know from experience, I didn't and they came to visit meSmiler

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always heard that if you dispose of a C & R owned before licensing, you must log it in at the time of disposal as "owned prior to licensing" and then log it out appropriately.
Pete
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mailed in the application today.

Thanks to all for your honest replies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They cashed my check weeks ago. How long does it take to get your credentials?

one of us
posted Hide Post
6-8wks

posted Hide Post
Since no one mentioned it I love the dealer discount it gets me at Midwayusa.com.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
How are renewals done? Is there a special form? Do they mail out a renewal notice? What is the drill after say 2 years and 9 months have passed?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They can be slow on the renewals but they do give you an extenstion if yours expires before the renewal process is complete. You should get the forms in the mail at some point.

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on obtaining a C&R or FFL . Hopefully where you reside does not effect their decision as to whether or not you'll be issued one .

I know in my case it did . Nine months every excuse in the book , lost paper work . Must complete another back ground check , yet again more paper work that was some how over looked or lost again ?? ! .
Then there was a matter of not being able to access my military records !. One thing after another .I finally went too the local PD had a full back ground check paid like $ 70.00 bucks another $ 30.00 to the attorney Generals office in Sacramento CA. Clean Clean Clean letters stating so . Didn't get one !. 9-1-1 happened and it was refused !. After 3 months more they sent my $ 30.00 bucks back from Georgia !. I must be a throughly dangerous person or a threat to national security !.

It's kind of odd they never had a problem sending me to Viet Nam or handling explosives or working for the government !. But God forbid let him buy a few war relics !!!!!!!!!!!. Not to mention I've had one moving violation in my entire life !. A speeding ticket when I was 18 !. Yep , throughly dangerous folks !. salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
How are renewals done? Is there a special form? Do they mail out a renewal notice? What is the drill after say 2 years and 9 months have passed?

Mine expired in Feb.07 They mailed a renewal 10/06 received new one dancing in Jan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess we're second class citizens here in Kali.

Third rebirth of member #117.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
Good luck on obtaining a C&R or FFL . Didn't get one !. 9-1-1 happened and it was refused !. After 3 months more they sent my $ 30.00 bucks back from Georgia !.

I suppose they didn't proffer any reason for denying your C&R?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After 9 months of continual BS , I had pretty well expected nothing !. I got my $ 30.00 bucks back with NOT A WORD !. I kept asking through out the process why it was taking so long . I received this answer twice ( I'm Not kidding Honest !! ) Well the woman who is normally in charge of your area is sick and not here today !. For 6 Months ????. Jesus H Christmas , they don't have anyone else that fills in for her !. ( Was my reply after 3 months of waiting ).

The woman on the other end of the conversation for the most part was short to the point not real polite but not rude either . She just kept informing me that the person who handled it was NEVER THERE !!!. I finally had to go to the local PD get a " Full " back ground check , complete with paying for it and a letter from the Attorney Generals Office ( State Calif. ) Stating I was OK !.

It never helped I ended up spending well over $ 100.00 for all the BS and in the end never received anything but my $ 30.00 application fee back . NO Explanation what's so ever Period !.

See but I was an acceptable candidate for ground pounding for the Army in South East Asia !. I was on file with the DOD FBI and CIA for Years and years ( Still am ) Because I handled Explosives it was my MOS. Honorable Discharge over 36 years ago no record of any kind !. You figure it out , you let me know OK !.
I just must be a throughly dangerous person is all I can figure ! salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herb D:
I guess we're second class citizens here in Kali.

You and Dr. K both.

My license and 2 pounds worth of credentials showed up today, almost 1 month to the day. Lucky me!!! For I too did time in Nam, worked as a dynamite blaster's helper for a couple years, and worked for local city government for 2.5 years. I was even arrested as a reckless terrorist a few years ago, but the charges were dropped when the local Keystone cops came to their senses. So it must be Kalifornia or whoever you listed on your application as the head honcho of the local police. Perhaps they have it in for you?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in California and had no trouble obtaining an 03 when I lived in Hayward. I then renewed it when I lived in Emeryville. As a matter of fact, my renewal was apparently lost in the mail; and when I called ATF, the woman confirmed my address and sent a dupe which I received in 3 days. I don't think living in California was the problem in this case.
Pete

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well maybe not in your neck of the woods !.
Try further South and see if it's that easy ?.
I live in a rural unincorporated part of the county . So should have been no problem . San Diego Sheriffs Dept. should have handled the paper work !. They didn't though sent it off to San Diego PD !. Figure that out !!.I figure just lazy and didn't want to do it . Any way can't see as why any of them would have it out for me .
Hell most of those snot nosed bastards weren't even in the womb when I was running around !.

I figured something was way out of whack when it was taking so long . I just never figured out what it was and no one gave any explanation what's so ever !.
See there are several counties in Kalif. where you can't even buy ammo on line or have it shipped to you . Same with primers and powder !.So in that respect I'm still lucky enough because I can and do .

Several friends of mine " USED " to have FFL's but then the law changed and without a Commercial zoned store front ,Sorry Charlie No more home FFL !.

I may re apply and demand an explanation this time if I'm unsuccessful !. Before the White House turns into a shit hole next year !. Then wait and see what happens to ALL OF US !!.

Want to read something that will piss each and everyone of us off ?. Read Senate Bill 967 the Democrats Victory Caucus !!!!!!!!!.
I know this isn't the political forum but every body should read this piece of shit !. salute

http://victorycaucus.com/supplemental_senate.php

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to my ATF info, you do have recourse. It says they must act on your properly executed application within 60 days or you may file an action to compel the ATF to do so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info . It's a little late now 6 years late . It still is good to know that , : if and when I reapply . Thanks again ... salute

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a little disappointed with the dealer discount from MidwayUSA. 10 cents off a $50 box of bullets? 10 cents off a $150 box of new brass? It's always 10 cents regardless if it's 100 of something or 1000. No discount at all on sale items.

I did find an out-of-date book selling for $6 less with my FFL discount. I passed on that deal.

I'm hoping Graf's and some other wholesale companies will offer a bigger reward. I'm waiting for them to reply to my new dealer request.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Discount varies by item, my guess is by how much by profit they make. Take a look at Leupold Scopes at the dealer price for exampleSmiler Send your C&R to Brownells also, decent discounts can be had there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Graf and Sons. They are generally a little cheaper than Midway.
Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PJ:
Take a look at Graf and Sons. They are generally a little cheaper than Midway.
Pete

You're correct, Pete. But the tradeoff is that I need to send some form of cash payment beforehand. These are cash discounts, thus no credit cards allowed. And I end up paying the actual shipping costs. All-in-all, not the savings I was led to believe.

My point concerning bullets and brass was that they sell in quantities such as 100, 500, 1000, 2000. Yet the dealer savings for any of the size increments is still only 10 cents. Seems to me, the larger the quantity, the larger the savings. How is a reseller supposed to make a profit with such a meager discount?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, even with the credit card "surcharge", they were still less expensive than Midway.
Pete