THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: brass length the same length--how important?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: brass length the same length--how important?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How 'serious '? when you buy brass sort out any that doesn't come close to the rest in length, weight, head square with body,flash hole diameter and length.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In your opinion for serious accuracy and for serious shooting at long range, how important is it to keep your brass to the EXACT length for all your pieces?

Thanks for your time and comments.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
There could be a lot discussed on this topic and has been already I'm sure. Depending on cartridge, compents,rifle, crimping, depth of seating ect.ect. varying neck length may or may not contribute much to long range hunting accuracy.

Let's say we're driving the same 180gr. bullet from a .308 and a 30-06. The .308s are only partially neck sized and the 30-06 is FL sized.If in each batch the length differential is the same which rifle would show the largest velocity spread? If bullet retention force has anything to do with initial pressure jump than likely the .308 loads would be most affected by a length differential. This is a simplified scynario and doesn't take into account a large number of possible other factors.

The answer to the question(and I'm not trying to be funny) is Yes it can make a significant difference but maybe it won't. I think you'd have to analyze each situation independantly. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Just as important as any of the other variables, and possibly more important than some.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
In my loading bench it's not important at all. If I trim cases within .005 of each other I'm a happy reloader.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
important, its all about consistency. if the length varys then so will the amount of bullet tension = an ammount of pressure diffrences.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote