Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lee hand primer problem
 Login/Join

posted
I have a new lee hand primer. I followed the instructions on lube and have the correct shell holder. The problem is that the ram seems to travel to far up and not allow the primer to slide into place this seems to be the case on both the large and small primer trays. Any ideas.
Thanks Stan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not gonna solve your problem. I just got a lee hand primer cause I thought it would be nice to have a primer sitting ready to go with a mag shellholder and then have my rcbs sitting there with a reg shellholder.

After owning the rcbs and the lee.....if i had to have one primer...I'd toss the lee in a heartbeat. Maybe if I had midget hands I'd feel the other way around but....it's like comparing a cadillac to a Yugo.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You`re sure you`ve the shell holder for the priming tool and not a shell holder that goes with their dies? Is the spring freely lowering the ram? There my be a burr or something in the tray houseing the ram or spring is hanging on. I`m on my 3rd hand priming tool and all have been trouble free through out their life.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will the tray depress down on the spring and pop back up freely? The bottom of the tray should return to a position higher than the ram arm. If not there is a problem with the spring.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aikido73:
I have a new lee hand primer. I followed the instructions on lube and have the correct shell holder. The problem is that the ram seems to travel to far up and not allow the primer to slide into place this seems to be the case on both the large and small primer trays. Any ideas.Thanks Stan

I have one of those, and although I'm not just wild about it, it works OK......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Let the handle snap back quickly after seating a primer. That works for mine