THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What really happened with Federal's Deep-Shok bullet???

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What really happened with Federal's Deep-Shok bullet???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
Well, I was perusing my old 2000 Federal ammunition catalog, and out fell the insert introducing the Deep-Shok bullet...with kudos from Layne Simpson, and all.

But, I never saw one box of this ammo in the stores. What truly happened with it? It was billed as a revolutionary bullet for deer.

The rumors I remember were to the effect that it was perhaps too revolutionary for the likes of Nosler, Trophy Bonded, and Barnes; that the Deep-Shok was such a good bullet that they threatened to pull their bullets from Federal's Premium line out of fear of competition.

Does anyone know the real scoop? Is the above close to the mark? Or, did the Deep-Shok fail in testing, etc.? It really looked good on paper, and I surely wanted to try it. Whatever the case, it sure has been kept hush-hush.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We used the 180 gr Deep Shok in Africa, with wonderful results.

Federal told me that "production" problems took it out of the catalog. but that it IS due to return "eventually".

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<MFH>
posted
At least until recently, it was still available from some distributors, and was at a good price if it worked well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to try some Deep Shoks in my .308 or 6.5x55.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Well, it looks like I'll have to put the Deep-Shok in the same file as BigFoot and UFO's, for now. It's amazing how effectively it was nipped in the bud. I thought for sure it was going to be a big deal...it's not every day that the big ammo manufacturers come out with a new bullet themselves.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<john holmes>
posted
John Barsness had an article on these bullets. He used them on caribou and ended up recovering some of the bullets after making a 400 plus yard shot on a caribou. The 180gr bullets recovered retained like 165grs plus.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure heard a lot of good things about them. but never tried them. Probably because I only shoot handloads.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Nearly two years ago Federal sent me two boxes of pre-production Deep-Shok's (180 gr. 30-06) to field test. I think it's probably the most outstanding new bullet design, and it grieves me they never saw the light of day. They were very accurate and withstood a point-blank firing into sand... I still have that bullet which retained over 65% of its weight and looks like a picture-perfect mushroom. I also sectioned one... the construction is stout!

My own gut-feeling is that Federal was getting heat from Nosler, Barnes, Woodleigh, etc., because this bullet was to be marketed in their cheaper "non-premium" line, while being every bit as good (perhaps better) than the so-called "premium" bullets they load. I still have 26 of the original 180's I pulled from the 06 hulls... I plan on loading them in my 300 WSM.

What an awesome bullet.

Brad

<MFH>
posted
I just checked JSC, and at least for now there is still 3006 and 300wm 180gr ammo available in the deep shok;unless there web site is not updated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year I worked at Gander Mnt in MN, I remember that we carried them, at least in .30-06. Maybe it's because Federal is based here in MN, that we got first (and last, apparently) crack at this ammo.