THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 50 g Vmax in .223, Loadbook C.O.L.?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone tell me what is the published c.o.l. for a Hornady 50g Vmax for the.223? Thanks.

Posts: 94 | Location: Otisville, MI USA | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
<rifleman>
posted
Doesn't seem quite right, but the Hornady Fifth Edition says 2.200 C.O.L. for the 50 gr V-Max.

Dave

I've personally settled on about 2.240 in my 223. There has been some info lately that says for the smaller calibers such as the 223, deeper seating depths are more accurate. Do a search for seating depth on this forum and the Varmint Hunting forum and you may find more info. "green 788" has talked to some Hornady and Sierra techs that are touting the effects of deeper seating depths, and not being concerned with the idea of seating close to the lands. Only experimentation with your particular rifle will prove it true or false for you. BTW, I've settled on Nosler 40 gr BTs as the most accurate in my rifle.

[This message has been edited by rifleman (edited 03-21-2002).]

[This message has been edited by rifleman (edited 03-21-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Nosler lists the industry max at 2.260". My Model 7 likes 2.600" with 27.0 grs. of Varget. Sierra recommends 2.250", Hodgdon recommens 2.210". Every rifle is different. Find out what yours likes. Good Luck!!

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I talked to the Hornady tech and he said they shot their load data at 2.200" because that seating depth will fit all magazine lengths. I guess I just need to experiment.

Posts: 94 | Location: Otisville, MI USA | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote