? about H5010
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Where can I find this powder in smaller
containers? Is there a powder out there
that is close to this that is easier
to buy? Thanks for the help. GEG

Posts: 55 | Location: Kenedy, Texas USA | Registered: 24 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Since 5010 is a discontinued powder, you'll have to take it in whatever package it comes in.

RL-22 and IMR-7828 approximate the burning rate of 5010.

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

[This message has been edited by ricciardelli (edited 04-24-2002).]

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I bought some a half year ago--it came in 1 lb container and was priced at about $12.95.
(pretty cheap). I think it's considerable slower than 7828 or re22--I think it's out there with h870 and h 1000--the hard thing is to find good data on this powder!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that 5010 is significantly slower than 7828 and almost as slow as H870. I have found it to be an impractical powder (for sporting cartridges) because of its large granule size which makes it impossible to meter and difficult to pour through a standard powder funnel. I've had much better results with H870 or WC 872 when a very slow powder is called for.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Phil R>
posted
I bought a case of H5010 before it disappeared. I use it for my buddy's .30/.378 Weatherby and I believe that it is a bit slower than Re22 & IMR 7828.
Hodgdon now makes H50BMG which is intended to replace H5010, I believe. You may want to check with Hodgdon to be sure.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI