New
Find
Notify
Tools

Relaoding stuff
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've made up my mind I'm going to buy the Lee Classic Cast Press to start rather than spending more, However, I can't seem to find this press in a kit. What else do I need and what brands do you guys reccommend? Thanks Chain

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a can of worms you've opened here.
I have reloaded for over 25 years and am an inveterate trader and experimenter, as are a lot of shooters/reloaders. Of all the presses I've ever used, I kept the Lee Classic Cast. It is in my book the best there is. That's only one man's opinion, for what it's worth.
I also, like and use only Lee case trimmers. I hate having to setup a trimmer and waste cases or take time to adjust the darn thing for whatever I'm trying to trim. With the Lee trimmers, setup is about a minute and trimming is easy. If I have a lot to trim, I chuck the thing in a drill and away we go.
For dies, I've used them all, and like a lot of them. But, in the end, unless a die is mis machined, they all produce ammo far more accurate than the average factory rifle, and a lot of shooters. I know it's starting to sould like an advertisement, but I'm in no way connected to Lee, but I use mostly Lee dies, the collet ones for rifle and their pistol dies are all carbide sizers, and they're cheaper than the rest. They work and that's all that matters. They also have a shell holder included, which is a nice freebe. I have some Redding and RCBS and they're fine too.

For a scale, I used to swear by the Redding #2, it is one of the most consistent and accurate scales made. Believe me, I work in a research lab that has electronic scales that cost several thousand dollars. Lately, however, I've been using an older model Dillon DTerminator digital scale and it is every bit as accurate, if you're carefult to pay attention and much faster. The newer Dillon's are trash, as they have an "advanced tare function" that allows weight to be added to the pan without it being displayed. Dillon is well aware of it and states that the scale is for setting up a powder measure only. I won't go into it here, but I'd avoid newer Dillon digital scales.

As to the powder measure, I've used a bunch and never really liked them. They're good for getting close to a set weight and topping the charge off on a scale. The best I've used and liked is the old Belding & Mull, it works much better than the others I've tried. I will actually use it to charge cases without weighing sometimes on certain loads. It's pretty darn accurate, and I need to learn to trust it more.

A good loading manual is a must, and Lee's Second edition is one that covers a lot of powders and cartridges. I'd get it first and add to my collection later. Speer, Sierra, and Hornady stick mostly to their own bullets, and you can't blame them for that, the Lee covers them all, but in a more general manner. Hogdon is to be commended for covering it's competitors powders along with their own. Although I've read about it, I've never actually set down and compared it, there are claims that Hogdon is quite conservative with it's competitiors loads, so as to make their powders look better on paper. If it's true it's a shame, their powders stand on their own and are fine choices.

A good press, dies, scale, powder measure, manual, and trimmers will get you started. You'll also need a few case prep tools as you go. I like to hand prime, but the Lee press works nearly as well. You'll need a loading block to hold your shells while in process. When I'm weighing powder, I like to use Lee dippers to get close, if I'm not going to set up the powder measure and throw them close to weight. A deburring tool is a must for cleaning up cases after trimming, and before seating flat base bullets.

Good luck to you in your new venture, it's fun and satisfying, and you've come to the right place for information. These gents, on this forum, are fine fellows all, and will help with all the information you could ever need.

one of us
posted Hide Post
chain: Get yourself a good reloading manual and read the introductory chapters on reloading - any of the major brands will do. There is a lot of info there that will give you a good idea of what you will need to purchase. The one thing that Bobby didn't mention in his excellent reply that you will need is a good caliper/micrometer, to measure case lengths when trimming as well as overall cartridge lengths after seating bullets. I would recommend a digital one and you can frequently find good ones on eBay for reasonable prices, if you are an eBay user. Good luck!

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about the press you want not coming in a kit; most kits have things you don't need and lack things you do.

Must have: Dies, shellholder, powder scale, case neck chamfering tool.

Will eventually need: Case trimmer, caliper (a cheap one will do)

Will want sooner rather than later: Hand primer tool (Lee is a best buy), powder measure (Redding is a best buy).

Not required, but nice: Case tumbler

Most brands of reloading equipment are fully satisfactory, and the few that are really premium may exceed your needs.

Lee products are cleverly engineered and typically inexpensively built. This makes them cheap to buy, quicker than most to break or wear out, but economical to replace. I like their collet dies (once you clean them up and adjust them) and particularly like their hand priming tool (sit in front of the TV while you prime 500 cases). Their new press looks good and is a departure from their "all-aluminium all the time" prior products.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my default reccommendations is a Satern powder funnel for the appropriate calibers you will reload for. You obviously need a powder funnel and these things are great--no static ever--and just really well made, not very pricey. Look at Sinclair, www.sinclairintl.com
they have a lot of other cool stuff also. A primer pocket uniformer is a nice tool and not too costly either, the ones from Sinclair chuck right up in a cordless drill and clean out your primer pockets in a snap.

It's also good to have a couple of decent quality case loading blocks, again (I'm not affiliated with Sinclair) but the polypropolene loading blocks from Sinclair are great, not too easy to knock over and very durable.

Also, it's good to keep a flashlight at the table, it is a great final check to look down into all your cases after charging them to make sure your loads are reasonably uniform.

This stuff is fun and the guys here at AR are really great--

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chain--I hear you on saving a few bucks when you originally purchase. Sometimes,down the road you didnt really save money though. This is something you most likely are going to have for years,so letting the price dictate what you buy is not the best idea. Ive had my RCBS Rockchucker press since 1967 for example. The Lee press you are considering may well exceed that? If mine should break today,I know what it will cost to repair/replace. An old experienced reloader told me what to get when I got started and I'm still using the stuff. One thing he recommended was a Belding & Mull powder measure. That's the only measure I have ever used,so I can't compare it but I have read in here many times about one powder or another that doesn't meter well in some other brand. I've not ran across any powder that the B&M doesn't meter.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,
I'd like to respectfully disagree with you on one point: The tumbler. Unless the cases are tumbled, they will soon ruin the dies and the firearm's chamber from carrying grit into these two places. Besides, range brass can be salvaged and used by first cleaning them in a tumbler and then resizing. Furthermore, resizing lube is easily removed by a couple of hours in the tumbler.
Thanks for accepting my comments,
Puncher

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chain,

I also just started reloading and couldn't find a kit to suit my needs. Researched forums for opinions on best cost effective equipment and decided to spend a few bucks now for gear that should last. Went with the Lee cast Classic, RCBS 5-0-5 scale, Lee collect dies and good case prep tools. Picked up a powder trickler but find the Lee powder scoops get me close and with a little technique I can dispense one kernel of powder at a time and that scale will show one "stick" of H4895 (weighing every charge for now). For $10 a universal deprimer will keep your dies clean. Next purchase will be a L Wilson case trimmer, looks like a good design and great reviews. No matter who you buy from the reviews on Midway's website are worth looking at. Also found reading reloading manuals very helpful and am amazed at differences in load data out there(esp. velocity). Recently picked up a Lyman Turbo case tumbler and reallly like it. The best advice I have recieved is double check everything especially web loading info as a typo could cause trouble. Best of luck.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote