Find
Notify
Tools

Model of this measure? *update*
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
I got this powder measure about 10 years ago in buying out a retiring reloader. I want to convert it to a small volume measure for pistol use. Redding hasn't replied, so I ask the professors of reloading here:

Is this the current Redding model 3, and therefore would the current connverter for that unit fit this one?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it's not the CURRENT Model 3, which has a plastic end spout and doesn't have the mounting ears on the casting as shown here.
The drum of my Model 10X measure is about 1.87" in diameter, if this would fit your measure's body then I would think that a conversion kit would work. Why don't you get the dimensions of your measures drum and call or email Redding again.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
The measuring drum measures 1.746" in diameter.

The piston in the measuring chamber is .7483" in diameter.

I thought that maybe back when this unit was made they only offered one measure, and when they came out with a second product this one became the Model 3. I've thought about a new one, but this old guy just keeps working so dang well!

Thanks for the help!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Well, kudos to Redding's support, they did get back with me (twice) after about 2 days lag time each time. In the end though, well:

quote:

Hi Cxxxxxx.

There is no way to fit a handgun metering chamber to your measure. It’s too old. Sorry.

Regards,

Patrick T. Ryan

Redding Reloading Equipment

1089 Starr Road

Cortland, NY 13045

607-753-3331

FAX 607-756-8445

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made one for mine, only because I bought a mini-lathe and was looking for a practice project. It works great but at my overhead rate it is probably worth the price of a couple of new measures. It isn't hard to do.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that is Redding's first powder measure, the one with the reddish-brown finish. I had a friend who had one. It had a chromed drum, the operation of which was somewhat sticky compared to the green Model 3 that replaced it. Nonetheless, they were a pretty good machine.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote