Find
Notify
Tools

need a good load for deer in a 25-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Good day!
A friend of mine is looking for a good load for his 25-06.
Any suggestions. He reloads and is shooting a Browning A bolt
stainless stalker with a 22 inch barrel. [Confused] [Confused]

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I used the 115-grain Nosler Partition bullet in my .25/'06 with a max load of Norma MRP for close to 3200 FPS in my Ruger No. 1V. It was very accurate, and deadly on deer-size game!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several friends who shoot the .25-06, and I shoot a .25-284.
Any good 120 gr. bullet will work fine. Almost all of them are designed for .25-06 velocities.
If you go to the 100 gr. weight, I'd go for a premium like the Nosler Partition.
Get yourself a Load Book and go with the bullet maker's data. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Primer: Winchester WLR
Powder: 52.5 grains of H-4831
Bullet: Sierra 120 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Eric J>
posted
56gns Reloader 22 under a 100 gn Nosler Ballistic Tip with a Winchester WLRM primer, and Winchester brass. I use this load out of a 26 inch barrel. Its pretty hot, but it kills deer very dead as far as I care to shoot them. Btw, work up to this load. With the 22 inch barrel you will have a pretty good muzzle blast.

Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Mike, I hardly know what to tell you. I cussed the 25-06 for years as being too big for varmints and too small for big game. But I finally bought one and when I shot the barrel out after several years, I rebarreled to the same chambering.

The darned thing just seems to work with whatever I try. I have shot deer, antelope, and wild hogs with it and they all have either died on the spot or after a very short run. (And a large number of varmints have expired due to this rifle also.)

We are lucky enough to shoot a lot of wild hogs here in California and I have tried lots of stuff.
I have had very good success with the 117 grain Sierra's, the 115 Nosler's (both Ballistic Tips and Partitions), the Sierra 120 HPBT, and the Nosler 100 grain Partition.

My dad and his buddy have shot LOTS of hogs with the 25-06 and the .257 Weatherby using the 100 grain Partition and I have to admit it is my favorite right now. I am going to Wyoming this fall for a guided antelope hunt and my 25-06 will be loaded with a max load of IMR 4831 and the Nosler 100 grain Partition.

The last hog I shot with the 100 grain Partition was about 125 yards and running like a scalded dog. I shot him with the 100 grain Partition and he did the nicest summersault you ever saw. The bullet went right through the chest cavity and dropped that hog on the spot.

Tell your buddy to try the 100 grain Nosler Partition pushed by IMR 4831 or H 4831 and he will do fine.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This load yields 3200 fps with Nosler 115 Ballistic tips and gives consistant .6" groups from a beat up second hand Savage 110. WORK UP TO THIS ONE as pressures may vary between rifles!!

Fed brass
210 primers
52g IMR 4831

Wonderful on antelope and deer.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote