New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 S&W Rifle Load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hodgdon's Longshot powder does remarkable things in the 40 S&W at normal pressures and this also applies to the longer 16.5 inch bbl of the Ruger P4.

Their max load listed for a handgun is 12.0 grs for a 135 grain bullet @ 1480 fps and 32,400 psi. I get a bit more in my CZ 75 with 4.7 inch bbl over their 4.0 incher, and it is easy to manage if you use a 20 lb recoil spring to slow the slide down a bit.

In the Ruger P4 this same load clocks 1894 fps for a whopping 1076 FPE and superior defense accuracy with just the ghost ring sights. Recoil is non-existent and you can tap a playing card 10 times in 5 seconds every time a 25 paces. Sierra Sportsmasters are surprisingly tough even at this high velocity and expand to over 0.85 inches.

Again, this is a very safe load and does not stress the firearm or the shooter at all. I can think of no better auto, camper or home defense combo than the P4 with this load. Penetration is limited and power must be experienced to be appreaiated!! Knock down is the same as a 230 gr 45 ACP at 1112 fps and energy is right there with a 16 inch 223. However, this energy is dispersed with much more authority than the 223.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that LONGSHOT looks impressive on paper.

I have overloaded the 40 S&W 10mm with LONGSHOT, and the Hodgdon loads are very near the limit of the brass in a typical poorly supported barrel.

The web of a 40 sw or 10mm case is .180" thick, but there are many 40 S&W chambers that have a feed ramp the intrudes .235", leaving .055" of thin unsupported case walls.

In a chamber with support to the web, and incrementally overloaded with 200 gr. bullets until the primer falls out or the case is as full as I can get it with double compression, the velocity hierarchy in my experiments is:

1) 800X 146% extra powder, the same charge as max load for 44 mag with 200 gr.

2) Power Pistol 98% extra powder

3) LONGSHOT 100% extra powder

4) 3N37 42% extra powder

5) Blue Dot 42% extra

6) N105 31% extra

Other experiments with AA#9, Enforcer, H110, and Steel do not change the hierarchy of the top three.

I have been experimenting with a Glock 22 with the feed ramp welded up and re chambered and the feed ramp re cut. I would rather do these experiments in a '98 Mauser with lots of strength and better gas venting. The 10mm, with it's large primer pocket and deep extractor groove is not capable of the power that the 40 S&W cartridge is.

--

A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experiments with LONGSHOT and .250" of feed ramp intrusion [the worst factory barrel I have seen] show that case bulge is very close at hand [1% safety margin].
IMR's loads for 800X have very good safey margin.
When the powders are compared at case bulge [very close to Hodgdon published load] the velocity of the 800X is greater by a good deal.

IMR's 135 gr 40sw load w/ 4" barrel is 10.5 gr 800X, 1305 fps, 24 kpsi.

Hodgdon's 135 gr 40 sw load w/ 4" barrel is 12 gr LONGSHOT, 1480 fps, 32.4 kspi.

Someone reading the published data might wonder, "13% more velocity OR 13% less pressure, which is better?"

I think I know which is better.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote