posted
here is my question
the nolser manual states
-Nosler ball tip 260 gr
-RL19 78 grains = 94% load density
-Max SAAMI cartridge lenght 3.6"
-Loaded cartridge lenght off my press is 3.615" compressed
because it wont seat deeper.

So it seems to me that compressed loads exceed SAAMI lenghts is that OK IS that normal?
ANd if its not normal is it OK to force the press to seat the bullet deeper " wich seems scary to me".

Basically, how do you load a compressed load? < !--color-->

Posts: 60 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Silver Fox:

My response is going to be limited to COL'S. The lengths you see in the loading manuals and other data sources are "generalities", as the COL'S listed are designed to fit many different firearms of that caliber. They are not written in stone for any one particular firearm.

With that said let me tell you how I find the right length for a given rifle. I use an empty unprimed properly sized case, into which I seat the bullet I wish to use, I set the bullet in the case just a little bit. Then I measure the length of the cartridge, I then put the cartridge in the rifle, and close the bolt. The rifling forces the bullet into the case, so I open and close the bolt several times, to insure the bullet stays in the position wher the rifling pushed it. Take it out of the gun and measure it again, now you have found the length at which the bullet contacts the rifling, set it .010 deeper, or more and you are good to go.

Now you have to find out if the magazine will accomodate your dummy round. If it will you are finished, if not, set your seating die a little deeper until the cartridge fits the magazine.

Good Luck

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they will fit in your magazine and in your chamber without touching the lands then they will work...but in a 375 which may be used for dangerous game I would never use a compressed load in any caliber....Its just too easy to find another loads thats not compressed for that matter...

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try some Reloder 15. You'll be glad you did.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote