Find
Notify
Tools

Soft 120gr 6.5 projectiles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gidday Guys,

In a few weeks a few of my mates and I are going to help out a station owner who has a problem with 600 odd feral goats.

The 222 will certainly get to do most of the work but I want to give the 260 a bit of a go.

That is where I have a bit of a problem. In the past I have used corelocts and NBTs in 120gr but have found that on light framed goats they are a bit stiff and sail on through.

Does anyone know of any softer bullets that will open up quickly. I don't want to have to change the deer zero so want to stick with 120s but do want humane kills.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
corelokts and ballistic tips ar too stiff? Wow, I've never heard that before, try the 95 gr Hornady vmax if an explosion is what you are after.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
You might try the Sierra 120 Game King, but that to might be a bit stout. Therefore the advice to go with a more "varmint" oriented bullet would be sound.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

I know it sounds strange NBTs and corelocts too stiff but these goats are only 6-8" through the chest.

Maybe the varmint bullets loaded back may be the way to go and hopefully I won't hasve to change the zero.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hamish, Many years ago i loaded Sierra 100grhp in a 264mag, "like dynamite in a pill" on varmits. It shot to the same zero as my regular 120gr load. Should do the same in the 260, hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neck shots with BT:s should do it!

there should be 100 grains Speer Varmint bullets in the 6,5 to be used.

Try those!

/C

quote:
Originally posted by Hamish:
Gidday Guys,

In a few weeks a few of my mates and I are going to help out a station owner who has a problem with 600 odd feral goats.

The 222 will certainly get to do most of the work but I want to give the 260 a bit of a go.

That is where I have a bit of a problem. In the past I have used corelocts and NBTs in 120gr but have found that on light framed goats they are a bit stiff and sail on through.

Does anyone know of any softer bullets that will open up quickly. I don't want to have to change the deer zero so want to stick with 120s but do want humane kills.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

one of us
posted Hide Post
Simply staying with a 120 grain bullet doesn't assure that your zero will remain the same. You'll need to rezero (or at least check your zero) anyway, so follow the advice and go with some 100 grain pills. Sierra, Nosler, etc. make such light bullets.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would drop to a 100gr NBT or maybe the Speer 120grSP. Chances that another 120gr bullet will shoot to the same POI as the NBT is a maybe anyway.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before they made a TNT in 6.5mm Speer recommended their 120g Hot Core for varmits and small deer.

I'd guess they still are harder than what you're looking for. Hornady makes a VMax and Speer makes a TNT now.

It may be worth adjusting the scope, you can always record the original setting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen photos of 2 120gr hot cores that failed to exit 2 different chamois when shot behind the shoulder - they are obviously very soft. Like everyone says there is no reason they will hit the same POI.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
100 grain Ballistic tips

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote