New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen - Powder for 225s ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be using either 225 NPT or 225 North Fork. This will be a one load rifle.

I had planned to use Varget but 8208XBR seems to be the flavour of the month in many calibres. Temperature insensitivity is important to me.

Available data suggests similar performance from both powders in my application. I will be happy if I get 2550 or more from my 24" 12" twist barrel.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this ????

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I load for my cousins Whelan with 225 Gr. Nosler Partitions. First powder we tried was IMR-4064. Never tried another - all shots touching at 100 yds. if the shooter does his part.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2318 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4320 is very good as is 4064 and RL15

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did alot of research before loading my Whelen. I ended up using RL 15 w / 225g bullets. The 'favorite loads' thread has some really good info from forum members.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varget and Accurate 2520 have been both fast and accurate for me.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I just picked up some of the 225 gr NP 2nds for my 35 Whelen AI. I'll be starting with RL-15.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks. I wanted to stick with Hodgdon/ADI because of availability and temp insensitivity. RL15 seems popular but getting it can be a bit hard. Nosler show RL15 and Varget as being equal,velocity wise.

Thanks for the advice about "favourite loads" Texas - I had missed that topic/thread. Smiler

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H4895 is not bad with 225 BT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varget worked well, but RL-15 was more consistant, w/lower ES.
My barrel is 23" long, and my 225gr. bullet was a Barnes TSX.
You will love the NF bullets, presonaly I rate them higher than both the Nosler and Barnes bullets.

Good shooting, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug. I have the NF loaded in a couple of calibres, but have not yet put one into flesh and bone. They look like they have a low BC, but I reckon that won't matter much at reasonable ranges, say out to 300.

I thought H4895 could also be a possibility with the 225s, but I'm trying to minimize the number of different powders that I keep.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
With the parameters you list, I really can't offer advice. The load I use in mine works beautifully, but it is not within the parameters you listed.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote