New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ramshot powders anybody tried them?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wandered into their website today. Hadn't ever heard of them before but look like a decent set of powders. Given Hodgen's near monopoly on powders if Ramshot is any good I'm interested in giving them some biz if nothing else to keep competition around in the powder industry.

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/

Was wondering if anybody had tried them or not and what experience they've had with their powders.

Posts: 32 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
I've used the Ramshot TAC and for 55 grain bullets in the .223 it's the best powder I've ever used. The only reason I haven't tried more is because I had a bunch of Hogdon powders already that I'm using up. Ramshot seems to be a lot like Winchester, a few different powders covers a very wide range of calibers so you don't need to keep 15 different powders on hand all the time which in my opinion is a huge plus.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TAC is working well for me in 222 and 222 Rem Mag rifles. Have some TAC loads made up for the 223, but haven't spent any time shooting them yet.
Getting ready for our hunting seasons now.
Read good reviews by others who have used other Ramshot powders, and nary a negative word about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramshot and Accurate Powders(AA) are both owned by Westerm Powders.
I use a lot of Ramshot powders, Tac, BigGame, Hunter, Silouette and X-Terminator. I like em, I like em a lot. Ramshot has become my go to powder in just about everything I shoot.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't know they were owned by a bigger company. At least it isn't Hodgen. I like lots of Hodgen powders but I am very worried about Hodgen becoming a monopoly. No matter how good a companies intentions monopolies are bad for the nation and the consumer.

I'll have to give them a try. I'm looking at 3 of their powders. Have to see if anybody stocks them around here and if the price is reasonable.

Posts: 32 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried Big Game and TAC and used them in 223,25x39,257Roberts,35 Whelen,8mm Mauser and 7x57.So far they have liked these powders.Give them a try.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I run the various Ramshot powders in almost everything I shoot. They meter great, give excelent velocities, low SD and ES, and burn relatively clean. I usualy try them first when working up a new load.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use TAC in my 223 rem loads. I get very good accuracy with TAC combined with 55gr Hornady Vmax bullets. I just got 4 squirrels this past weekend using that load with an M-4 style AR with just iron sights.

Posts: 25 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know what the Ramshot burn rates are compared to with the rest? I would like to try some in my 30-06, 300WSM, 270s etc.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
As a new reloader, you need to learn the value of "Google". You can find just about anything regards powders and other compenents there....and loading tools and guns too.

For instance, I googled "ramshot powders burn rates" and got this

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/burnrate.php

Good luck wirth your loading.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use TAC with mag primers exclusively in my various .358 Win. loads. I'm getting higher velocity, equal accuracy, & a cleaner barrel in comparison to any other powder I have used in this rifle.

Posts: 70 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
As a new reloader, you need to learn the value of "Google". You can find just about anything regards powders and other compenents there....and loading tools and guns too.

For your info, I am not a new reloader, just new to being a computer nerd.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:

Alberta Canuck, thought your middle name was "Google" why else would we post things here we could find on Google? Besides isn't it easier for someone else with more knowledge to search a subject in which you no very little? Its like giving a dictionary to someone who can barley spell by sound. They will be able to find out how to spell it, but it takes a lot longer then the rest of us.
When I first started I didnt know about this place, and with many people so much more knowledgeable then I am. With all this knowledge in one place why not come here first to see if anyone can help fill in any blanks you may have missed?
I was in his shoes not but 5 years ago and now have friends of mine who have been loading twice as long asking for advice because they care not to expand on the basics because of the effort involved.

I m just picking on AC because I know he can dish it and take it like a champ.

Now do you need the comparable data for?? Or is it due to lack of manual from the powder company on your end? On there website I found you can down load some of there own load data. While AC did porvide a burn rate chart under his fancy link. As well it sometime just never harts to drop the company a email with your exact need. From the companies I have emailed for info on such topics I found Hodgtion is the ONLY one that NEVER GOT BACK to me. But then again from what I read they have the highest standards of any powder company.

I emailed Accurate Powder about reduced loads which I couldn't find, emailed Hodgtion too but Accurate got back to me with everything I ever needed, remember what I said about Hodgtion....no response.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using Big Game in my 9.3x62. With luck I'll be able to chrono the load this weekend.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My mention of using Google was not to keep questions from being asked here. It was to point out that is often quicker to find an answer if you just ask it of a search engine....I don't care which one.

Also, one of the strengths of asking through a search engine is that you can just describe generally what you want to know in whatever words come to mind, and generally you will get a useful answer. Not always, but often.

Also, it is useful for things which may occur to one as a question, but which one might not expect to find the answers here or necessarily in any other forum.

That doesn't mean a person can't ask in several places; AR, Ask Jeeves, Wikipedia, Google, wherever. Search engines are another useful tool in addition to forums, so I was suggesting another arrow to his quiver.

As to assuming him to be a new reloader, I apologize for that. I got that impression because he said he had never heard of Ramshot before. It (Western Powder) has been around for a number of years. My bad for assuming....I should know better.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Hunter in my 300WSM. I liked how it metered and had some potential for good accuracy. It had some temperature issues however (especially when it was very cold) so it got replaced.

I hear TAC is a great powder.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
My mention of using Google was not to keep questions from being asked here. It was to point out that is often quicker to find an answer if you just ask it of a search engine....I don't care which one.

Also, one of the strengths of asking through a search engine is that you can just describe generally what you want to know in whatever words come to mind, and generally you will get a useful answer. Not always, but often.

Also, it is useful for things which may occur to one as a question, but which one might not expect to find the answers here or necessarily in any other forum.

That doesn't mean a person can't ask in several places; AR, Ask Jeeves, Wikipedia, Google, wherever. Search engines are another useful tool in addition to forums, so I was suggesting another arrow to his quiver.

As to assuming him to be a new reloader, I apologize for that. I got that impression because he said he had never heard of Ramshot before. It (Western Powder) has been around for a number of years. My bad for assuming....I should know better.

I was only pulling your leg!
I have a tendency to be a bit sarcastic when I get very little sleep and or after just waking up. This morning was both. :P

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JamesKain, I read Somewhere on Hodgens website that they do not return e-mails but prefer you to call them if you have a question. I would suspect it has to do with liabilities - just a hunch.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
JamesKain, I read Somewhere on Hodgens website that they do not return e-mails but prefer you to call them if you have a question. I would suspect it has to do with liabilities - just a hunch.

Makes sense, but then again they seem to be the only ones who do note. Unless they just get such a volume of emails they cannot keep up.
bewildered

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramshot powders have been very clean ball powders.....they shoot well for me and provice exceptional metering. I recommend them.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote