Find
Notify
Tools

SHORT BARRELED .40 LOAD?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of silverback
posted
I have a 3 1/2 " barreled Kahr K-40. My Glock loves 155 gr GD with 7.0 GR Unique. I have tried from 6-7.3 gr unique with the Kahr and can't get the sub 1" group I get with the glock. Any advice? does a short barrel require a faster or slower round? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
What range is your sub 1" group shot at? Your main problem with the Kahr is probably going to be the sight radius, or lack thereof. Probably not the load at all. How does it shoot with factory loads? I don't believe that the Kahr is noted for it's accuracy.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silverback
posted Hide Post
The sub 1" is at 15 yards. The Kahr isn't really noted for it's accuracy- all the write ups say 2-3" at 25 yards with factory. Since I am new at reloading I really did'nt know if I could do better than that. Factory loads- 180 wwb seem to be consistent with the write up. Do you think that heavier bullets are the way to go with short barrels? Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would take a guess that unique is a bit on the slow side for a 3" bbl. just for giggles try some 231 or the like. the kahr is an excellent carry gun, but 1" accuracy is asking alot from one of them. carry guns are made to shoot at big targets at close ranges with reliable functioning

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem to get better accuracy with 180's than I do with the lighter bullets. You may get different results.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SC_Gunner
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Glock loves 155 gr GD with 7.0 GR Unique.

Are you using the factory barrel to fire these loads? ~Marc

Posts: 46 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silverback
posted Hide Post
Yes- I am using the factory barrel. I would like to buy a match barrel, and if I was shooting lead I would definately have one!!!

One of Us
Picture of silverback
posted Hide Post
quote:
I seem to get better accuracy with 180's than I do with the lighter bullets. You may get different results.
Peter

I have been doing some reading - you may have the answer.... the groups(at least according to the write ups ) are smaller with 180 gr vs. 165 or 155.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've never gotten great accuracy out of 155gr bullets in a couple diff. 40s&w. The round was designed around a 180gr bullet & I have best results w/ 165gr-180gr, lead, plated or jacketed.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silverback
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Do you shoot any short barrelled 40's?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Silverback, I reload for a couple of 40's, a glock 22 and sig p239. Like you, I get excellent accuracy with 155's out of the glock. I am currently using Win 231. When I tried this load in the sig with its 3.5 in barrel, accuracy went to hell. I am now running 180's through the sig, using AA7 and couldn't be happier. Routinely turn in 1.5" in groups.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silverback:
Thanks. Do you shoot any short barrelled 40's?

Both mine have 4" bbls, but bbl. length & bullet wt. have little to do w/ each other. Yuor pistol will tell you which bullet/load it likes.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silverback
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I have been reloading for such a short time. I am trying to learn the best way to go about this selection process. Before(last 40+ years) all I did was load what they issued and shoot. Now that I have to buy....well It is fun to reload and still fun to shoot. I just have so many questions. Thanks