Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Scale Issue
 Login/Join

posted
I have been reloading for about a year, so I am still learning. I have noticed while using my scale that the zero gets knocked off ever so slightly. I recheck my scale about every 5-7 rounds. My bench is a plywood topped table, could there be enough un-eveness in the table that it changes zero if I barely bump the scale? Thanks in advance. JF

one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming that you are talking about a beam scale, I would carefully check for any trace of dirt and possibly clean the bearing surfaces of the beam, as well as the level of the scale.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
If bumping your scale is the problem than lay some mashing tape down of your bench top for the scale to sit on. The tape provides a surface that resists slight movements and also provides a surface for pen or pencil marks so you can return the scale to the same place on the bench if you do bump it.

As long as the scale is zeroed on one spot of the bench it should remain zeroed once returned to that spot after a bump.

I haven’t use tape for years. I chiseled indentations in the top of the bench for the scale’s “feet” to sit in.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are using one of the usual electronic reloading scales, I recommend that you zero it before every measuring. And this means right before the measuring, not 5 minutes or not even 10 seconds before. Make this a routine and you will learn to interpret your scale.

posted Hide Post
Yes it is a beam scale. I might have to try the tape idea. Thanks JF

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
JF - I didn't see this mentioned and maybe you already know it, but really watch for drafts with a beam type scale. A window or door open somewhere can really mess with a beam scale.

McFox - Are you saying you rezero between EACH ROUND or before changing loads/powders? It's been years since I messed with the early electronic scales but I didn't realize they were that fickle. What a pain if you have to rezero between rounds.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McFox:
If you are using one of the usual electronic reloading scales, I recommend that you zero it before every measuring. And this means right before the measuring, not 5 minutes or not even 10 seconds before. Make this a routine and you will learn to interpret your scale.

If your electronic scale drifts that much I would return it to the manufacturer or trash it.
I had one like that about 10 years ago. It was replaced by the manufacturer. The replacement does not drift. I recently inherited another electronic scale and it does not drift either.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote