Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading kit
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted
In november i buy a new Reloading kit Big Grin my caliber is 10,3x60r, .416 rem. mag and 7,5x55 swiss.

Question:
Wat's is the best Reloading kit?

Choices:
RCBS
Lyman
Hornady
Lee
other

Member in Shooting Game "Tiro distretto Moesa" www.tirodicaccia.com and webmaster from www.scgroven.jimdo.com Smiler webmaster Hunting website www.mesolcina-caccia.com and fly fishing website www.mesolcinapam.jimdo.com on FB find Al Venza.

Posts: 339 | Location: Switzerland, Lostallo GR | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never bought a kit unless you call the herters setup I got back in early 70s one. I mostly buy RCBS dies though.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in what you are using now to reload with? I would tend to say out of your choices would be RCBS, or Hornady, but don't count out Redding equipment, it is very good but a little pricey.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no kit which contains the best of all parts - e.g. I don't particularly care for some of Lyman's presses, but some of their smaller tools are very good. So buying a kit is always going to be a compromise.

If, however, buying (pretty much) all of your loading equipment as a kit appeals to you - e.g. for sake of simplicity - RCBS is a pretty safe bet as is Redding. Hornady is also pretty decent, although I have not used their lock-and-load system for fixing dies, so I'm unsure about that. Since I don't care too much for Lyman's presses, I would probably not buy that. Lee has one good press (cast), but a lot of their other gear is a bit tinny (although sometimes designed very ingeniously). If you can afford the extra cost of an RCBS/Redding kit over Lee, I would personally not bother with the Lee.

Also note: the various suppliers will provide kits at different price levels. If looking for an RCBS kit, see if you can afford one containing their "Rock Chucker" press. That will likely be one of their better quality kits. The quality of the scale is also important - I recently ran across a cheaper Hornady scale I did not like at all, although my older Hornady scale is great.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I think Midway sells a "Master" reoloading kit. Press, scale, trimmer, hand primer, some case prep tools. You have to add a tumbler kit. I'm not sure about your calibers.

Oops. Press and equipment is RCBS. Rockchucker.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why November and why such a large single expenditure? You do not have to start reloading all 3 at the same time. I would recommend that you start with the 7.5X55 and after some practice add the others.

If you buy a kit you may get many things that you will not use much.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know where 10.3x60R intends to shop for his reloaing equipment? It is FAR cheaper to buy stuff like this via the Internet in the US, but it is getting increasingly hard to have Internet shops send "stuff" abroad. Sometimes one wonders about the products which are somehow "restricted" in one way or the other. Of late, Sinclair Intl - who has otherwise been a good and reliable business partner over the years - refused to ship a couple of Burris Signature Zee rings abroad. They claimed they had an agreement with the manufacturer which prevented them from doing so. I figure that this was either a result of Sinclair now being owned by Brownells (who has a miserable track record for serving non-US customers, IMHO), or because Burris figured it could make more $$$ if it managed to sell the exact same product in Europe at inflated prices...

Anyway, Midway is practically out for non-US customers. They will either refuse to do business with you, or try to charge you the ridiculous prices listed on their European websites... Mad

If 10.3x60R intends to shop for his reloading equipment in Europe, he will certainly find prices MUCH higher than in the US, and choice pretty limited.

Regarding buying a reloading kit - I agree that it is actually often better to buy the individual items separately, because it allows you to choose the best of each item (press, dies, scale etc). However, for a new reloader this can be a pretty daunting task - if he has no experience, how does he know what he needs let alone which bits are good and which not? So buying a kit is not an impossible way to start. Alternatively, 10.3x60R starts a new thread here and asks for advice on exactly what bits he should buy as a new reloader. Reality is, though, that it may still be a bit hard to choose from the myriad of different options AR members will likely present him with...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted Hide Post
Mho you look the website www.midwayschweiz.com or i buy in ebay (condition new)!

Member in Shooting Game "Tiro distretto Moesa" www.tirodicaccia.com and webmaster from www.scgroven.jimdo.com Smiler webmaster Hunting website www.mesolcina-caccia.com and fly fishing website www.mesolcinapam.jimdo.com on FB find Al Venza.

Posts: 339 | Location: Switzerland, Lostallo GR | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
In looking over what's available on the site that you posted I would think this kit would work for you. I purchased a similar kit a few years ago as my first kit but it contained the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 instead of the powder measure, trickler, balance beam scale. I have since reloaded for 257 Wby, 30-06 and 338-378 Wby. No problems encountered at all.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I've been assembling my reloading stuff and buying used when I can. I eventually got a very old but in great shape Rockchucker with the small opening. I aint worried about the extra space. It'll reload 375 H&H easy and that's about as big as I will ever go. you can get them cheap.

It was said that the kits dont have every thing perfect but they get close. The RCBS kit has a 50$ rebate on it so might be an option if you like the Supreme kit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10,3x60r:
Mho you look the website www.midwayschweiz.com or i buy in ebay (condition new)!

I agree with Heat, if you want to buy off the Midwayschweiz.com website, the RCBS Rock Chuker kit is the one to go for - if you can swing the $$$

http://www.midwayschweiz.com/a...ct?SaleItemID=646599

Just being the tight fisted bastard I am, and not really wanting to let Midway get away with their ridiculous European pricing Mad, I sure would attempt to see if I could find a US dealer (eBay or whatever) who was willing to ship me the same kit for less than half the MidwaySchweiz price. I don't believe the US limits shipping of reloading gear (as they do reloading components, gun parts, guns, scopes etc), so from that point of view it should be fine to buy in the US... Best take advantage of the strong CHF while you can...

Check here,

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_f...t=See-All-Categories

and see if you can find a dealer willing to ship to Europe - choose a long time eBay seller with good feedback, who will accept payment via credit card or PayPal.

It looks as if the same kit offered for CHF 755 by MidwaySchweiz is offered for about US$300 - 350 on eBay - plus maybe $50 in shipping and a bit for Swiss VAT. Even at a total of, say, US$420, you'd still be way ahead...

- mike

P.S. Just took a peek, this long time eBay seller specifies he will ship Worldwide and accepts PayPal. Looks pretty good compared to MidwaySchweiz, and maybe there are better offers to be found...

http://cgi.ebay.com/RCBS-Rock-...&hash=item2a0e953ebc

One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted Hide Post
WOW WOW WOW tank's at all!!!!
Sure i go to ebay !!
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy individual components, you just cant beat a Redding Ultra-mag for example, or a Harrell Powder measure.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote