Find
Notify
Tools

Trimming 17 rem cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings shipmates,
Just took the 17 cal plunge and got me custom contender barrel. Now comes the real question...how do you guys trim those cases? I have a Forster trimmer and know they make an adapter, does it work? I've heard mixed reviews. Would I be better off just buying a file and trim die? Next purchase will be some forceps to hold the bullets while reloading!
Thanks in advance for your help..
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Sir: I use a file type trim die for .17/.223AI, but occasionally the forster also. Simply turn down a forster neck pilot to the diameter you want. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an RCBS case trimmer! They make a pilot for .17!
I don't know for sure, but the RCBS pilots might work on forester. Maybe a little altering,will make it work!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To use your Forster requires purchase of a cutter shaft dedicated to the 17 cals. The pilot will only work in that cutter shaft. This also applies to their 17 reamer, and the pilot for the neck-turner (different from the trim pilot).
Works great, for your additional investment of $13-15.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit surprised. I use an RCBS trimmer, and I had to simply buy another pilot in .17.
Doesn't seem to me to be much more to it than that. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your help!!!

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote