New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pet Loads 338 Mag
 Login/Join

<Budweiser>
posted
Can anyone help me ? I am looking for some pet loads for a Sako 338 Mag with a 26 inch barrel.
Thanks in Advance
Straight Shooting
Budweiser

one of us
posted Hide Post
Really like the performance of the 200g Ballistic tips. Though 76g RL19 is Noslers listed max I have so far seen no pressure signs at all with repeated loadings, get right at 3050 fps out of a 24" tube with exceptional accuracy. 2 elk and a large whitetail so far with great weight retention (on the 2 bullets recovered) and terminal performance. Win brass, 215 primers, .015 off lands.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming you are talking about a Sako rifle, chambered for the 338 Win.Mag, I can contribute.

My personal rifle, a model 77 Ruger, shoots incredible groups with 70 Grs. IMR 4350, Fed 215 primer, Hornady 225 Gr, Spire Point, 2800 FPS.

Very effective Elk load. It in fact is the only load I use because of it's superb performance.

Regards, DLM

Posts: 26 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Budweiser>
posted
I would like to thankyou snowcat and DLM for answering my post . I have bought some bullets and powder. Now to the reloading bench.
Straight Shooting
Budweiser

<Old Timer>
posted
Bud,
One of my pet loads is 180 Nosler BT in a Win case in front of RL15 powder 68 grains using Federal primers 210 my over all len is 3.367 my chron-o -graf says and ave 3267 out of a 26 Browning 338 Win Mag. this load shoots a .300 group the temp out side was 22 this load I have not used on any deer yet but intend to.
Old Timer