New
Find
Notify
Tools

new york question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anybody - my son in law has taken up pistol shooting big time. he lives in upstate NY and can't find any pistol powder anywhere - can I ship him some in NY or do their laws prevent that too??

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
If you have a haz-mat certification.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Call UPS
It "may" be as simple as affixing a sticker to the outside.
"ORMD" is the sticker I use when shipping ammunition. No permits no licensing required nothing but a sticker on the box.
Good luck.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Joe:
If you have a haz-mat certification.

Correct. You can't ship powder or primers unless you are a certified hazmat shipper.

Although it seems ironic that you can't ship a single primer or 50 grains of powder by themselves, if you assemble them into a brass case with a bullet on top you can ship tons of both.

But you can order powder from a supplier and have it shipped to your SIL. You'll have to pay the hazmat fee ($25 nowadays?), which makes shipping small quantities cost prohibitive.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might be able to pay for ammo that a FFL dealer in NY gets Then he buys it. I'm no longer target shooting so don't have other suggestions.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
person to person is OK, Dealer to Person under the SAFE act is no longer allowed.

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Components are not currently affected by the NY S.A.F.E. Act.

He can still order reloading components online and have them shipped to NY - if he can find what he needs.

Posts: 40 | Location: new york | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Online orders for powders and primers are still lawful. No online AMMO orders can be received by an individual but (some)gun shops are receiving online ammo for individuals at a fee. Powder's online look like a problem right now, where in NY does your son live I know a few places off the border that have stuff? we could not get Cuomo out this year because of the liberal city people. SUCKs!

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote