Find
Notify
Tools

338 Lapua Magnum Loads Please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
I just purchased a Sako TRG 41 in 338 Lapua Magnum. This particular rifle has an established provenance as a tight shooter at distance. There is still plenty of life left in the barrel.
With the rifle I am getting a box of Lapua brass and several hundred 250 grain HPBT Lapua Scenars and as many 300 grain Sierra HPBT Match Kings.
I have all the usual suspect powders on hand,, and a set of FL Bonanza/Forster dies with a micrometer seater.
I would surely appreciate some of your favorite recipes for long range loads.
Thanks,
lawndart

PS, If any body wants to shoot their Lapuas at LONG range we have 7,500 square miles of easily accessible state and federal land that is short on inhabitants and long on distances. I could be persuaded to put some steel plates out at 1,000, 1,100, 1,200 yards, etc.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
http://stevespages.com/338_9.html

250's:
Magnum From 89.2 grains to 101.0 grains
Federal 215 Primer

300's:
H-1000 From 82.7 grains to 92.2 grains
Federal 215 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve!

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart, Congrats on the TRG-41. My favorite load in my TRG-42 is one that I got from the original Lapua Loading manual. Subsequent Lapua manuals have lowered the max load (which it is) by a few grains, so the load is probably too hot to recommend but since I think you have a brain and can figure things out for yourself I'll tell you anyway. 94.6grs VV N-165, Lapua brass, 250gr Scenars, Fed 215M Primers.
When I can figure out the wind this load shoots scary good at 300yds. I've shot it in 105deg weather with no blown primers, hard extraction etc. But since the current manual lists a lower maximum charge I'm sure you shouldn't try it.. Wink.........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that load DJ.
I think N-165 for the 250 grain Scenars and N-170 for the 300 Sierra Match Kings may be a good way to go.
lawndart