Find
Notify
Tools

Upgrading Two Reloading Tools
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted
Have been a reloader since 1969 and looking to upgrade two important tools on my bench. I don't need the most expensive but rather the most practical, accurate, or easy to use.

1. Presently using Lyman Acculine case trimmer. It does the job but doesn't dunk my bobber. I don't like screwing each individual case into the shell head holder nor like the set screw adjustments on the case length gauge.

What is a good standard tool to go to for an upgrade?

2. I have had the good old standard RCBS powder dispenser for decades. It is reasonably accurate.

Is there another one in a similar price range that does a better job on loads involving 50 grains and less?

Thanks to all in advance.
Bo Cash, in the hills of NC

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bo,
I used a Uniflow for years. Then I got a Redding Model 3. Worlds of difference, the RCBS has been retired. As far as trimmers go, I've yet to find one that I really like. I haven't tried one, but the Hornady Cam Lock looks pretty good. Anybody out there using one?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto the Redding, I have used my for years and gave my old RCBS away. Sinclair makes a better one at double the price. It isn't twice as good in my opinion. and unless your hard core into benchest and want to pour all your powder charges, not really necessary. Another excellent brand is Harrell's but these are about $300.

Case trimmers in general suck. I have yet to find one thats really convenient, putting a motor on them doesn't really help. My next one is going to be a setup on my drill press or lathe I think, that way I can deburr at the same time ( at least in theory ). I know I saw a drill press setup but for the life of me I am drawing a blank and can't find it. I currently is a Redding and haven't found anything I would consider a big improvemnt on the bench top types. Trimming cases is just one of those crummy jobs, best tip I can give you is I trim just a tad short and it prolongs the interval.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Case trimmers;
For mass quantities the Gracey is very hard to beat.
http://creedmoresports.com

For smaller numbers and spot on accuracy the LE Wilson trimmer with a micrometer adjuster,
http://www.sinclairintl.com

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Lyman makes one that you can use with a drill press. You may have to rig up some
very positive depth stop that is more accurate than the factory stop on your drill press. I took the cutter from an RCBS trimmer and chucked it up in my press and used the Lyman base. It makes VERY short work of trimming cases.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have used a number of different makes of case trimmers..until about 35 years ago when I got my first Wilson. After a few years of using the Wilson and some others simultaneouly, I tossed all the rest in a drawer, and just use the Wilson.

Old Sam's design suits me right down to the ground. Each case has its own shell holder, and the shell holder is centered lying on its side between two round rods. Sinclair makes a mount for the tool which holds it and the cartridge case firmly in place while the case is being trimmed. Once a person develops a "rythm" with the tool, it is as fast or faster than just about anything else, including my Dillon and Neilsen power trimmers. Another nice thing is that with the Wilson shell-holders, you NEVER have a case lying in the tool off-center or "cocked", and when using the Sinclair tool-holder, they NEVER fall out of the trimmer. Wilson also makes a power adapter for their trimmer, if you want to use the cutter chucked in an electric screw-driver or electric drill.

All the benchresters I know (which is a bunch afer about 10 years of competition in that sport) use either a Neilsen or a Wilson, and the Wilson is about 1/5th the cost of the Neilsen. Yet the Wilson is at least as accurate as the Neilsen and maybe even easier to use. You know the BR-boys wouldn't use them if they didn't provide the most accurate, smoothest, most consistent cutting they can find short of a full-blown lathe. Those guys obsess on such items...

By-the-bye, Though Wilson makes very close fitting shell-holders,designed to pretty much completely enclose the body of the case being trimmed, lots of the holders WILL fit more than just one case size. I have about 12-16 different shell-holders, but between them trim & load brass for somewhere over 100 different cartridges.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned/used a number of case trimmers. None of them are perfect-but some are better than others. I use either the Forster or Wilson. The Forster is more versatile, the Wilson is (generally) more accurate.

With the Wilson, you must buy shellholders for each individual cartridge (as noted by A.C. there is a crossover for many cartridges), but this can become expensive at $6 per shellholder. Also, if the rifle chamber is out-of-round or bannana shaped or etc, or if each individual case does not "spring back" at the same rate, the case may not seat at the same depth each time it is inserted into the trimmer. The number of shell holders are limited. Wilson didn't make a 30-06 AI case holder 15 yrs ago, and my attempts to have one machined were less than satisfactory. With my 06 AI's I use the Forster.

Having said that, I would still recommend the Wilson as the best quality for the price.

Casey

Posts: 112 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Casey -

I'm surprised Wilson didn't offer to make you just about any case-holder you ever wanted. For me they have always done that, fairly often at no extra charge for something different.

So, I have them in all kinds of things...470 Nitro, 7x33 Sako, you name it. Maybe it was just whoever you got on the phone that day at that time of the month....

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i had a wilson and upgraded to a lyman. the lyman is nice, fast and cost effective (pilots are only a couple bucks). i got the drill press attachement, but i prefer to hand trim.

Posts: 211 | Location: MT | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. This board always has generous fellows that help.

Craigster, great to hear from you again !

After some study and not wanting to go into extreme price ranges, I just ordered
a Redding # 3 powder measure and the Hornady
Cam Lock trimmer through one of my FFL distributors. What the heck, I need to look at something different on my bench and anything has to be better than the tools in my original post. If they don't work, I can divorce them later and try others.

Take care and thanks again ! Bo

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I agree with Alberta Canuck; the Wilson is very accurate and faster than any hand trimmer I have used over the past 50+ years. It does take some experience, but once you get the rythem down, it works great.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coltchris:
I agree with Alberta Canuck; the Wilson is very accurate and faster than any hand trimmer I have used over the past 50+ years. It does take some experience, but once you get the rythem down, it works great.

Another vote for Wilson/Sinclair. Accurate and easy to use.
I use a Lee trimmer for 45/70 only. Couldn't get a 45/70 case holder for the Wilson.

Can't help you with the powder measure. I use the hated Lee measure. I works good enough for me and meters excellent at charges above 40gr.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding powder measure is a great piece of equipment and will run rings around RCBS (or anyone else) measures. For priming try the Lee priming tool -- much faster and accurate than priming on the press. Still haven't found a truly superior case trimmer; I use an RCBS which doesn't really square the mouth with the rest of the case. Digital powder scale is a really big help; quick to set up, fast to use, and is also good for sorting bullets. RCBS and Lee dies are my favorite for the money; Redding probably the very best dies out there but a bit expensive. As far as technique goes, I always seat and crimp rifle and handgun bullets in separate operations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding stuff, both powder measures and dies, is pretty good for what it is... mass-produced, relatively inexpensive gear. It is FAR from being the best out there though.

It is as good as the typical shooter/hunter needs, but for precision work there are a number of makers of more precision dies and/or powder measures. To give just one example, try Neil Jones Precision Products.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't need custom length trimming capability, but just want uniformity at/near "standard" length, give the Lee trimmers a try. Hard to beat how simple they are to use. And very consistent results. Just not easily adjustable (you could special order a long pilot, and cut it to your custom length). Even with special order, it is bound to be cheaper than some of the other options listed here.

Andy

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote