New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bore Loading Equipment
 Login/Join

<Paul Machmeier>
posted
Guys, With the cost and availability of big bore ammo, I have decided that I should roll my own. It's been many years since my active reloading days and that was mostly revolver and 30 cal ammmo.
What I need to know what are the recommendations for loading .416 to .600 calibers?
My candidates so far are RCBS and Redding. Both seem to have the necessary magnum presses and dies for these calibers, but who has the best overall equipment. Redding in their catalogue lists a lot of precision gaging equipment, etc. while RCBS seems to be better in electonic scales and broad product line.

Would be real helpful to get your comments?

pmm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I have the RCBS Master Kit and I reload from my .22 Hornet through to my .585 Nyati. That required removing the bushing and placing a CH4 bushing into my rockchucker. I also load my .416 on it with no drama's. I would not hesitate to but the RCBS Master Kit, it is a great way to get all the basic bits you need straight up.

PC.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Hands down, Redding makes a better product then RCBS.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
For the big bores don't overlook the Forster Coax Press. It provides compound leverage and does a better job of loading concentric ammo. As for the presses I respectfully suggest that all the manufacturers are about equal. The dies are a different matter. My opinion is that Redding and Forster are about equal with RCBS only a small notch behind. The RCBS customer service and their unquestioned warranty is unequaled except by possible Dillon.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The co-ax only accepts 7/8-14 dies, which makes it too small for the 500 Jeffrey and larger cases.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Redding. When I got my first big bore, a .416 Rigby, I found that my long suffering Rockchucker was a qweech too short for finished cartridges... after seating a bullet the loaded round had to be tipped out of the shellholder. I upgraded to a Redding ultramag and have had no problem loading .416 Rigby, .460 Weatherby, a few nitro express rounds, and a friends .505 Gibbs. My ultramag also has noticeably less play in the linkage than my Rockchucker. In my opinion Redding and Forster makes better dies than RCBS, but RCBS has a much larger custom inventory for what its worth.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Redding is number one!

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
The exterior finish of Reddings dies make them look like a very quality tool but in my opinion the CH4D while a rather rough exterior are the smoothest I have ever owned. To be perfect, all they need to do is drill the small lube escapement hole in the shoulder area.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
When I started loading the big ones I played with several presses including one of the old Texans.
I finally settled on one of the Corbin swaging presses CSP-1 S which I have found to be more than ideal.
It is thereaded to use conventional reloading dies.
I have also started to swage my practice bullets on it for my big rifles, saves a packet!

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does a Forster Co-Ax Press retail for ??

For AUS$ I pretty well have to double the US$ figure and add a little.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rodger I agree that CH4 Dies are excellent. Ihave one set in .585 and the rest of my dies bar .44 rem mag are all RCBC and the CH4 dies are at least equal to RCBS if not better. ILike there seating arrangement.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
You can get a Coax from Graf & Son for about $190.US.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Paul Machmeier,

Regading dies Redding is the N�1 but price is high, you have in second place RCBS custom shop or normal dies

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Paul Machmeier>
posted
Really appreciate all the great comments and advise. This really helps as I spend more hunting than worrying about reloading but this may change soon.

Thanks again guys!

Only accurate rifles are interesting, ammo too!! [Big Grin]

pmm