Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resurrecting "Americana"
 Login/Join

posted
Back in the '60's I purchased a Herter's M-81, 2 station, C-press to load .244 Remington cartridges. I kept the press all these years up in the attic. Recently, I purchased a new .357 Mag. Ruger SP101 and found out the reality of ammo cost these days! Consequently, I went digging around atop the house and pulled out my old press. Disassemble, cleaned and re-lubed everything. My son, a machinist, had to fabricate a pair of shell holder adapters to accommodate the lacking holders of today (no meat at all!). This is one beast of steel my friends! And she's just about set to go. Thought you all might like a look into history. The don't make them like this anymore!

And here's a close-up of the adapters my son made for me out of stainless steel no less!

Finally, two side-view pictures:

Now all I've got to do is scrounge up enough $$$ for the components and we're good to go! Hope you don't mind a look back at some real "Americana"!

"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Posts: 13 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nifty, I never had the opportunity to see one of these before. What was the idea behind having two rams?? Was the intention to use both simultaneously, or one at a time??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Mike,

You use them one at a time. One station is for the sizer and another is for the seater. You can see the ears for the primer arm on the left station.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Crestliner, Thanks for the flicks. REALLLLY a nice old press.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you have raised him properly. I had one of those old warhorses when I enlisted back in 1968. My brother (we served in nam together for five months)
got out a year ahead of me and traded it for a Lyman Tru-Line Jr! What a brainiac decision.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I picked up this press just before enlisting in 1965. Made 2 "WesPac" cruises myself on the U.S.S. Shelton, DD-790. We chased sanpans up around the DMZ and did a lot of shore bombardment there as well. I am very happy that I never got rid of this old press. Just wish I'd have kept a few of the old Herter's catalogs as well. They were classics!

"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Posts: 13 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pixs. And if you ever get tired of reloading, you can use it as an anchor for the QE2. Big Grin I have a RCBS Jr like that. I bought it used 50 years ago and it's still going strong.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
That's an interesting arrangement.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Nifty, I never had the opportunity to see one of these before. What was the idea behind having two rams?? Was the intention to use both simultaneously, or one at a time??

- mike

I've got a triple ram Pacific press that I just love. No screwing with resetting dies or rotating a turret - just stick it and go!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote