New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 load for a scout rifle
 Login/Join

posted
Hi guys,

I've recently bought a Ruger scout. (Remember, a 16 1/2" barrel. Everything is based on a 22 in load data.) Bought several different factory loads, and was not totally thrilled with the results..... Until, I loaded up a box of 150g Winchester soft points. Groups went from 3" to one ragged hole.
So here's the question.... I just started reloading 308 when I bought the rifle, and have been trying to come up with that magic load like the Winchester factory load. So far, Not so good.
Does anyone have a magic load that they've tried and proved for the Scout??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In his grip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
150gr bullet(usually a Nosler Partition) and a mag primer with 51grs of Win748. It has worked well for me in a number of firearms.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
51g of Win 748, that's about 3g above max!?!?

In his grip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smallpatch:
51g of Win 748, that's about 3g above max!?!?

And a mag primer, too.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't think I want to try that!?!?!!

In his grip

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
You need to use fairly fast powder with that short barrel. Try IMR4198.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've tried from 43 to 48g of win 748 with a 150g soft point and some 130g soft point, so far, no cigar.

In his grip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4064 (45.0 - 46.5grs) and 150s works pretty good in my 700 (22"). Not as well as 748 but you already tried that.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the following loads in many different 308's. It has never failed to shoot pretty good, and in most it is very, very accurate.
Does not matter if it is a hunting bolt rifle, a custom sniper/match bolt rifle, or a ParaMilitary semiauto. It even shot good in a fellas Savage 99, that was having problems finding an accurate load.

The load;
39.5gr of IMR 3031, the bullets, the Sierra 165 Matchking, the Sierra 165 HPBT, 165 Nosler Partition, 165 Nolser Ballistic Tip.
This load shoots great with all the above bullets.

Another load I have shot in a few guns, just because I once got a bunch of Nosler 150gr Solid base bullets on sale is 42gr of IMR 3031.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also I had a friend one time on my deer lease taht had one of the Ruger manlichers in 308.

He wanted a deer load that did not kick so much, after all on that lease we never shot much over 100 yards, most of the time under 75 yards.

So I loaded him up some loads with 150gr bullets designed for the 30/30 over 37gr of IMR 3031. Mild recoil and killed deer like the Hammer of Thor.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a load I have used for many years without any troubles. It came from one of my books. The mag primer is due to 748 being a ball powder. I also use mag primers in all my hunting loads just to be sure no matter what the temps are and such. Back it off if you want but I use it in a number of bolt actions, a single shot Encore pistol, semi-auto and pump rifles.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you know what works in your gun. Do you still have any of that factory ammo that works. If so, you need to find out how fast it is going out of YOUR gun. If you don't have a cromograph, get one or get a new friend that has one. After you get the speed pull one of the bullets and weight the charge and see if it looks like Win 748. Max load will be in the area of 48-48.5 gr. Factory load will be normaly less than Max. You can buy the Win 30cal 150gr PP bullets at Grafff or Midway. I don't see a need to uses mag primers as this is not a 416 Rigby or 375 Rem UM. You can buy Win LR primers. With your once fired cases,Win748 powder,Win primers and Win bullets seated to same lenght as the factory ammo, load up three cases in 1gr steps starting about 12% below max and record the velocity AND the difference between the fastest and slowest bullet in each 3 shot group. The extrem spred will go down as the load get closer to the sweet spot and go up as you pass it. Do not go over the MAX load

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Albert,

Yeah, I guess a Chrono would be the way to go. Need to find a friend.

In his grip