Tools

Who has Barns #3
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
Can anyone tell me what velocity the book says I should get with the following:

.338 WinMag, 225gr. X bullet (uncoated ) and 68gr. of IMR4350

I was at the range this morning to test my loads and the battery was dead in my Crony [Mad] . This load showed good results on target even though it wasn't Max. If the velocity isn't bad though I'll quit right there. I never shoot that far to need scorching speed. Thanks

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NBHunter,
The max load:
67.5 grains of IMR4350
225 grain XFB (uncoated)
Velocity = 2777 fps

24" barrel
Winchester case
Federal GM 215M primer

If you had good results, no pressure signs and accurate, you should still consider the ambient temperatures and check the load again when it is hot outside, hopefully with a chronograph and live batteries.

Rifle barrels, chambers, and throats vary a bit, in determining a max load.

The Winchester brass is about the roomiest, so if you were using some other brass, your pressures and velocities might be even higher.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Thats interesting to know. The cold must have had an impact cause I tried three loads: 68gr, 68.5gr and 69gr. in Herters brass I bought by the hundred a couple of years ago. They were fired in the rifle before and neck sized but that shouldn't give me much more room should it? All just fell out of the gun and the primers had the nice rounded corners. Think I'll load up a few more and get a new battery and try it out again when it's warmer than 20 degrees. If it is still OK, this will definatly be THE load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NBHunter,
Sounds like a good load to me. I don't know if Herters brass is comparable to the Winchester stuff, may be. Of course neck sizing only would tend to allow more powder or lower pressures for the same load by a small margin, as you say. If the Herters brass is lighter than the Winchester stuff, you may be getting lower pressures than the Barnes folks did. Temperature and brass are the main variables in the load here, assuming the primers involved are all comparable.

Anyway, IMR 4350 is the powder I settled on for the 338 WinMag also.

The Canadian hunting seasons are not hot. I'd say you are ready to go hunting. If you go hunting in Africa, test fire those loads in the heat before you go. Old saw ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had this temperature thing bite me once or twice, NB. As mentioned, wait until it's a reasonable day out, and try them again. The MOST accurate 7 STW load I ever found ended up being one I could only use when it was -20 outside. Great for coyotes, and cold weather hunting, but that's it. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
That's the biggest reason I didn't use Rel 22. That stuff is sensative. I think I'll keep the rounds in my pocket right up till I shoot them to keep 'em warm this time. As far as Canadian hunting seasons not being warm, as they shouldn't be, Opening day of fall rifle season for bear was 83 degrees this year.

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I weighed the cases and found:

Winchester = 230.6gr
Remington = 236.9gr
Herters = 247.9 [Eek!]

This has me really scratching my head with the whole 67.5gr. max thing. All I can figure is the cold must have really had these loads frozen when the 69gr. load would seem safe by typical preassure indicators. I have a 24" barrel on my Savage 116fss, and used Fed Mag primers just like the manual. This might explain why my loads reach "listed" velovities at or under published amounts of powder.