New
Find
Notify
Tools

W 748 and BL C2
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
These two powders W748 and BL C2 are usually listed next to each other on the powder burn charts and load data is virtually the same. Is this another example of the same powder being marketed under two names?? like W760 & H414. Who has experience with noth?

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
No,not the same at all. BL-c(2)has the same burn rate as WC-846.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
These two powders W748 and BL C2 are usually listed next to each other on the powder burn charts and load data is virtually the same. Is this another example of the same powder being marketed under two names?? like W760 & H414. Who has experience with noth?

W748 and BL-C(2)are very close in burn rates, both ball powders marketed by Hodgdon, both share the identical MSDS sheet and are made by the same powder manufacturer, St. Marks Powder.

Are they the same powder marketed under different names, who knows?

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, WC 846, WW 748, and BL-C2 are the same spec powder. As with any powder, two different lots will behave slightly differently, and the WC 846 is not held to as close a burning rate tolerance since it is used in bulk and variations in lots can be adjusted by the end user (ammunition manufacturers.) But I would start in the same place with any of them and work up according to the behavior of each individual lot.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be very careful using BL C2 data with WC846 I have a jug of 846 that I had to reduce a full 25 percent from BL C2 data.

Posts: 19572 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen Thanks to all of you for your comments.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
As posted above, while they may be close to one another on the burn rate charts, they are not the same. Sharing the load data for a given round using 748,BL-C(2) and WC846 is asking for problems due to canister lots compared to commercial lots.
H450 and IMR 4831 are supposed to be the same burn rates but you had better drop by two grains to start with to be safe due to lot variations of the Ball Powder.(H450)
H335 and BL-C(2)are very close to one another as well but if you swap load data your going to have problems as H335 likes to pressure spike when it reaches a max load.
While burn rates on a chart may be close,how the powder reacts with a heavy bullet or light charge can be very different from one another.
After 50 plus years of reloading,I've run into issues and made notes on what works and what does not.
Where you are,air temp,load density, barrel length,etc really adds up to developing a safe load by substituting a powder you are not familiar with.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Be very careful using BL C2 data with WC846 I have a jug of 846 that I had to reduce a full 25 percent from BL C2 data.

As can happen with surplus powders, it is probably mislabeled. Which illustrates that until the nature of a given lot of surplus powder is established any handloader should proceed cautiously.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its misleading to think if burn rates are similar or the same..They still take different powder charges, and don't bulk out the same. There is a difference in WW760 and H414, IMR-4895 and H4895, IMR and H powders, You may or may not get away with it..That said its ignorant to assume such...

Work your loads up with any powder to suit your particular rifle..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42138 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
As a rule, BL(C)-2 is about .5 to .7 grains faster burning than W748 with 150 grain bullets in a .308. I have found H335 to be noticeably faster than both. I say this but my experience with these powders dates from 20 years ago.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote