New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rem Mag and 300 WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was looking for a good powder for both 7mm Rem mag and 300 WSM. I want a powder that performs well through a large range of bullets types and weights. Does anybody have a particular powder that they use that can handle the different calibers and bullet weights?

I was thinking MagPro (but it seems to be hard to find) or one of the 4350's out on the market but since I have limited experience with MagPro and no experience with 4350 I wouldn't know if they are any better than the rest.

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Rl-22 in 7mag. I've seen it used in the lighter bullets as well for the 300's, so that would be 1 choice. Another I'd guess woud be Rl-25, but you'd probably want 175's or 180's in 7mm for this powder to be most effective.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with IMR4831 in both my 7mm Rem Mag and my .338 Win Mag. I would look at H4831SC also.
Woody

Posts: 51 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
RE22 should work well for both. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The R22 burn rate seems about right as long as you use 180 grainers in the 300 WSM..its a bit slow for lighter .308s in the 300 but covers a good range in the 7MM.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
FWIW, H4350 has been the most versatile powder (150-200 grainers, all good accuracy, 65 grains at 180 gives me 2955 fps) I have used to date in my particular 300WSM, and Magpro gave top velocities (and low pressure) with relatively poor accuracy.

Like evrything else, rifles vary, so your's will have its own learning curve...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
My vote would go to H4831sc to cover the widest selection of bullet weights. RL22 would be my 2nd choice.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 300WSM and want to know if there's any loading differences in H4831SC and H4831. Does it weigh and measure the same?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have both a 7Mag and a 300WSM and both like H4831SC. You can use the same weight H4831SC and H4831 but you cannot use the same powder measure setting. The 4831SC has a much shorter granule length and more of it fits in the measure.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For some reason, my 7 mag doesn't like H4831 or H4831 SC as well as it likes IMR4831. It is an old model Ruger (1976 mfr) with a new take-off barrel. This week I took her to the range to verify zero pending opening weekend (7 more days). As usual, she pounded 3 150 gr Ballistic Tips into .489" shooting off the bench, and the zero was the same as when I put her away last February. And to think it is a factory trigger and it isn't bedded either. I got lucky for sure when I picked this gun up from a guy who was hurting for money to pay his share of the rebuild on the 4WD jeep at their deer lease.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Fjold. I always weigh my charges and adjust the powder measure accordingly to get the correct weight. Loading up 40 300s tonight for terrain destruction tomorrow. Lord help any jackrabbit that gets in the way...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
R22 has been working well for me in the two carts mentioned.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
My 7mag likes the IMR 4831 and Re22. I have a friend that loads his 300 WSM with the same 2 powders and has excellent results with each.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns