THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    would you ajust powder charge or bullet seating depth first for accuracy?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

would you ajust powder charge or bullet seating depth first for accuracy?
 Login/Join

posted
Im just trying to save myself some time, Would you recomend ajusting the the charge untill you got the best group first, or ajust the seating depth for the best group. I cant seem to find a strait answer
thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would expect the powder charge to make the most difference. And your best seating depth may not fit in your mag. anyway.
John

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tim blake:
Im just trying to save myself some time, Would you recomend ajusting the the charge untill you got the best group first, or ajust the seating depth for the best group. I cant seem to find a strait answer
thanks

When I load up, I make sure the oal will fit in the mag, and in some cases not be into the lands, too. I would say that powder charge will affect your accuracy more, from the loading and shooting I do seating depth doesn't do nothing as far as accuracy goes. Unless, your shooting a VLD type bullet, these need to to be right on the lands. BTW, What ya loading up? Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
My experiance differs from the others, I find bullet, then distance from the lands, powder, and lastly charge wgt are the order of factors that affect my accuracy.

I work my loads up with the bullet about .005" off the lands. After I find what seems to be either the most accurate charge or max charge, depending on what I`m looking for, I adjust the seating depth looking for a gain in accuracy.

Seating depth, charge wgt, primers, ect are all just part of the tweeking process.The only way to tell what will work best for you is to experiment yourself with your rifle and loads.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Powder charge!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Old Joe--I start with a charge of the selected powder that is 1.5 to 2 gr below max and load 3 or 5 rounds .005" off the lands, then .015" off, , 025", .035". I shoot them and evaluate accuracy. In my experience, once I've found the sweet spot in distance off the lands, I can tinker with the powder charge with little to no impact on ACCURACY. The point of impact changes with charge changes, but not the group size. This may mean that I have ammo that won't function thru the magazine, and thus my current M70 FW in .22-250 is a 2-shooter--one in the chamber and one in the mag.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
powder charge,...seating depth is a tweeking proceedure and usually best evaluated at longer distances to determine the benefit/caveat.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I develope a load for a hunting gun, I load up a few rounds with different charges until I get the velocity I want (I don't care if a load for my 300 win mag is accurate if it produces 308 velocity). In general I usually get the best groups when I get within 2 grains of the max load.

Next I set the COL .01 off the lands or to the max magazine length and tweak the charge a grain either direction.

When I find the best charge I vary the seating depth .005 each direction until I get the best load.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I use the starting load with different seating depths,starting shy off lands (or magazine length if needed) and select the best grouping one to go on developing the powder charge. IMHO, it takes less shots to find the petload this way.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do the best powder charge for accuracy first, then I start messing with seating depth etc. Having said that, if the accuracy is good I just leave well alone.

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tim blake:
Im just trying to save myself some time, Would you recomend ajusting the the charge untill you got the best group first, or ajust the seating depth for the best group. I cant seem to find a strait answer...
Hey Tim, Since you are "trying to save yourself some time", I'd recommend just looking in the Load Manual from who ever is making your bullets and pick the Starting Loads and Overall Length for whatever Powder you have on hand.

Then when you become interested in "Accuracy" rather than "time", develop your Load using the never improved upon Creighton Audette Method. Pick the best "gorup clusters" from the initial shots and then Fine Tune your Load by adjusting the Seating Depth. Only problem is this will take some "time". And of course, a person never goes wrong gaining more Trigger Time.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote