THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smokeless powders to reload for Cowboy Action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been informed that first generation 45 Colt Colt SAAs require pressures that are generally used for 45 Colt revolvers in "Cowboy Action" shooting. Obviously, loading current brass with black powder would be below or meet such pressure levels. What I find regarding exterior ballistics of factory "Cowboy Action" 45 Colt ammunition is that there is a large variation in listed muzzle velocities among different factory cartridges having identical bullet weights when all cartridges are loaded with smokeless powder (via Midway Arms' web site).

Please identify smokeless powders that can be efficiently loaded to yield "Cowboy Action" pressures with 250- and 225-grain cast lead bullets. If possible, include TiteGroup as one of these powders. Hodgdon's web site' 45 Colt handloading data are not as clear on this subject as I prefer. Pressure levels are listed, but I do not know what "Cowboy Action" pressures are. Without this information, Hodgdon's information is not yet useful.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been informed that first generation 45 Colt Colt SAAs require pressures that are generally used for 45 Colt revolvers in "Cowboy Action" shooting.

I have no idea what this means.
Are you trying to load for competition or just trying to load your .45 Colt to shoot for fun?
I thought the common "cowboy" loads were as light as possible, often using light bullets and velocities as low as possible.
Common "cowboy" powder was Trail Boss. TiteGroup is not a great choice for lead bullets. Bullseye and Red Dot are better choices.
You might try the "wild bunch" forum for information from actual shooters.

Posts: 130 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, first of all, you can't exceed the max pressure for your old SAA. Otherwise, it doesn't matter what pressures you use for CAS, as long as your bullets don't exceed 1000 fps and go at least 400 fps. But there is also a power factor of 60; a 100 grain bullet must go 600 fps; you get the idea. Most CAS shooters, the gamers and winners, use squib loads that just barely meet the minimum SASS velocities. I use loads in the 850 fps range; and shoot one handed; they never used two hands in the 1800s to shoot a revolver. I am not as fast as those guys either. I use mostly Unique powder, and the old lots will give almost as much smoke as black powder. I respect the guys who shoot only BP, which is how it really should be done. I do use only BP in the long range matches.
Bottom line, any powder can be used to do what you need. Look in the books.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Cowboy" pressures don't exceed 14,000 CUP, the maximum for old SAA revolvers. Many use loads at lower pressures, although go too low and you'll stick a bullet in the barrel. Standard factory ammunition is loaded to lower pressures than 14,000 CUP.

In recent years many smaller ammo makers have developed high pressure loads for stronger handguns. These are referred to as "Ruger only" or "Plus P" loads and are not safe in your Colt. Ammunition which exceeds 900 fps with 250-255 grain bullets exceeds safe pressures for your Colt.

Every major reloading manual lists standard pressure loads for your Colt. Eschew the "Ruger only" loading section. In the 43 years I have been reloading various .45 Long Colts I have had good results with Unique, Universal and BlueDot, but there are a great many suitable powders. Hodgdon's site has quite a few. Just don't use the "Ruger only" loads and you will be fine.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
As I said, there are no pressure specs for CAS.
The governing bodies of CAS; SASS, and NCOWS do not care what your pressures are. Their rules are based on velocity and bullet weight.
The only pressure limitations are for your particular gun, which, if you are shooting a first gen Colt SAA, you do need to adhere to that rule.
So, for CAS, you need to follow two rules; one pressure rule, for your revolver, and one velocity/bullet weight rule for the matches.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More info from the OP would be helpful here. If it is an older Colt and not proofed for smokeless powder, it should only be shot with black powder loads. The cutoff date is around 1900. Smokeless proofed Colts should be safe to use with any standard level load. What many people refer to as "cowboy" loads are often reduced powder charges and light bullets in search of reduced recoil. It is easy to run a 250 grain bullet at 1000fps without exceeding standard pressures and Colts will handle that just fine.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot Cowboy Action, but Trail Boss works real well in my 45 Colt.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote