New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 gr V-MAX seating depth
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I finally got my paws on some 35 gr V-maxes , and I am working up loadings for them , as I have not yet fired them I would like some input on seating depth. My usual accurate load is seated at a 47mm OAL. I like to seat as close as possible to the lands , & this load is exactly 1mm off. Now with the v maxes the furthest I can set them out is 45 mm . Will this affect my accuracy with the specific load, or am i doing something wrong

Rudie Potgieter

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what cartridge are you loading?
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David

It would have helped if I typed it in my first post wouldnt it , by the ways this is for my .22 Hornet in a CZ 527 I have determined me chamber to be 48 mm long , and always try to kiss the lands.

Thanks
Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
I have a brno hornet, I filed the back of the magazine out to give me more room.
It was only made of plastic, dont know about the cz!!

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rudie, have you had a chance to try those 35"s? I've been wanting to try some in my hornet.
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
<CatShooter>
posted
Rudie...

I have a CZ 527 Deluxe (very same gun as the BRNO, same factory, just different politics).

I shoot 40 gr V-Max's. I had tried the 35 grain V-Max's but they are too blunt, and won't hold velocity well. I load the 40 V-Maxs to touch the lands, with 13.5gr of AA1680, for a velocity of 3,100fps, and they shoot 1/2" groups all day long.

CatShooter.

[This message has been edited by CatShooter (edited 05-18-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stronics

I am going tomorrow morning to test them out , I have worked up about 30 combinations . The powder I am using might be slightly different to yours ( OHHH you guys are sure lucky to have lil'gun & the likes for your Hornets) . I am using SONCHEM S265 the only powder available for loading the Hornet here , as I page through my Sonchem ballistics manual I find S265 to be within 5% burning rate of the following powders available to you.
Du Pont = IMR 4227
Hodgdon = H 4227
Hercules = 2400
W/W = W296
ADI = AR2205
I am now trying one of our faster burning powders (so far no amazing results) the powder is S221 which shows the same burn rates for the following
AA = AA5
W/W = W571
ADi = AP100
Any thought on this or should go to a slower one , the one slower than that would be just after S265 & that is S321 wich compares to
AA= 2230
Norma = N201.
....What a petty we have exactly 10 powders available for all calibres we can possibly load
Regards

Rudie

<MAKATAK>
posted
Oh, man, Rudie. Remind me not to move to your neiborhood. I whine because I "only" have about 125 types and brands to choose from. How do you get by with only 10? I use more than that for a single rifle with different bullet bands and weights. We, here in this country, don't know how good we have it.

I tried the 35 VMax's in a 223 but couldn't get any accuracy at all. I gave up and went back to 40 VMax's and heavier. I was hoping they would work because I was thinking about a 15" 221 on an exta XP100 action I have, for diggers out to about 150 yards.