Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Dies for an AR-15
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted
I’m wanting to reload for an AR & really hate the RCBS dies I bought & plan on getting a set of Redding but I hear a lot about the small base dies for AR’s & that they will make your brass feed better. Have anyone heard anything about this?
Here is a link to the small base die I’m looking at.
Small Base Dies

If I cannot talk myself into the small base dies this is what I will go with.

S-Type Dies

Best Regards.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay away from small base dies for the AR!

quote:
The Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set
thumb

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Small base dies will over work your brass; as DaMan stated, stay away from them.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
Stay away from small base dies for the AR!

quote:
The Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set
thumb

Nice to see you outside the political forum for a change. Looks like we finally agree on something Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shawn,
If you get the Type S bushing dies get the nitride bushings. They cost a little more but worth it.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdeshazo:
I’m wanting to reload for an AR & really hate the RCBS dies I bought & plan on getting a set of Redding but I hear a lot about the small base dies for AR’s & that they will make your brass feed better. Have anyone heard anything about this?
Here is a link to the small base die I’m looking at.
Small Base Dies

If I cannot talk myself into the small base dies this is what I will go with.

S-Type Dies

Best Regards.
The type s bushing die will not size the neck all the way to the shoulder, this part of the unsized neck can drag when the round chambers. I know i can feel it witha bolt action after 3 or 4 firings. I have not used bushing dies in my AR. So just a guess here, could be wrong. Standard chamber, standard dies work for me.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have two ar-15 and use rcbs and dillon with no problems.

Posts: 82 | Location: az | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What sdeshazo would want for the AR is the Type S – Full Bushing Die.

"Full length resizing while maintaining exact control of the case neck is often desirable in one operation. The new Type S - Full Length Resizing/Bushing Die accomplishes this task with the precision you would expect from Redding." thumb

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the help, I'll go ahead 7 order the Type-s.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS small base die for any shells that have been fired in another rifle once fired or picked up off the ground at the range. I use a set of Wilson Bushing Bench Rest Dies for my .223 Remmy XR-100 I dont know just what I will use when I get a AR-15.

Good luck

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use rcbs 2 die set for my RRA ar15,whats your hangup with rcbs dies? I have no problems!

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
small base dies are not needed for your AR 15, I'd stay away from that headache.

Posts: 40 | Location: Asheville, NC | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small base dies are used for a custom chamber. Use standard die set with factory chamber.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RiflemanZ:
I use rcbs 2 die set for my RRA ar15,whats your hangup with rcbs dies? I have no problems!
Same here I have used the same RCBS dies for my SP1 since 1987.

Posts: 29 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Small base dies are not for custom chambers, they are for automatics, lever actions, and some pump guns..I use them for all my Savage 99 rifles and for the ARs and Mini 14 that I have owned or issued in the past..some custom ARs today have very tight chambers for accuracy reasons and they require SB dies.

SB dies technically over work brass to some degree, but the difference in longivity on brass may be one loading, if that, try it before you pass it on,never believe all you read..the SB ammo also works better when the chamber starts fouling up or in a battle situation like shooting several hundred rock chucks or P dogs over a short period of time..

RCBS are as good as dies get, I have used them for years without any problems. Most problems with any of todays better dies are user error.

It is correct that in most ARs that std. dies work, as they have pretty sloppy chambers like most factory guns have, and being a defense weapon, sloppy chambers have some good points, same can be said for the 1911 Colt, but again I like dies that resize tight.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plowboy:
quote:
Originally posted by RiflemanZ:
Same here I have used the same RCBS dies for my SP1 since 1987.

I've had my small base RCBS dies since the early 1980's. They may be worn to standard dimensions by now Wink I've never had a problem with case life, I did have problems finding the fired cases from my Mini-14 so I replaced it with my first AR-15. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
For my RRA AR, I use a Redding FLR die.

Haven't had any problems to date.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote