New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Dies!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A while back I had mentioned that I was trying the new hornady die with the zip spindle. I had said I would keep everyone informed on how it worked.

Within my first 50 rounds the zip spindle pulled right out of the die. After that I couldn't get the zip spindle locked down tight enough that it wouldn't move.

I returned it to Cabela's for some Lee dies. Nothing against Hornady but I just figured I'd try something different.

Posts: 52 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN MICHIGAN | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, It was lubed properly too.

Posts: 52 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN MICHIGAN | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had that problem with the Hornady diess in the beginning too, I just had to adjust it properly.
But I have to say I really like them now. I especially like the seater die though.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new dies have a threaded spindle...was this one with the threads or just a plain spindle??
I have lots of hornady and love the elipitical expander and the seater does good too.

On the older dies I found that a deep well socket certainly gets them tight enough. So tight I've expanded 243 brass up to 308 without trouble.

With a little fiddling some of my hornady dies make almost zero runnout.....I'll buy more.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXPRESS:
.........just had to adjust it properly..............

BINGO!

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kraky:
The new dies have a threaded spindle...was this one with the threads or just a plain spindle??
I have lots of hornady and love the elipitical expander and the seater does good too.

On the older dies I found that a deep well socket certainly gets them tight enough. So tight I've expanded 243 brass up to 308 without trouble.

With a little fiddling some of my hornady dies make almost zero runnout.....I'll buy more.[/QUOTE

1/2" boxend & 3/4" open gets the little collet plenty tight clap

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote