THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

panic in the reloading component arena???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
other than an OSHA law that was proposed and to my knowledge dropped I have not heard anything about the government going after reloading or ammo supplies, well there is the cali lead ban, some of my friends have heard that reloading items may not always be available to us, also in cabelas I saw another guy saying he was getting extra because he was afraid he would not be able to buy more. whats the deal, are you guys seeing a panic out there, it does seem like getting certain ammo has been really hard to get lately

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Panic buying? Haven't seen that farce since the Y2K thing.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be suprised by some panic buying.

I remember well the great primer panic of the early 90's.

And while I didn't go berzerk I did become the beneficiary
of the panic of some others... when they lost interest in reloading and sold me everything...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Panic? I don't know - it might be justified.
In my area (Northern Arizona) we haven't seen any small rifle primers on the shelves at any of the 5 local-area stores that sell reloading supplies for over 5 months solid. Also scarce (occasionally appear, then sell out just as fast) are things like 6.5mm bullets of almost every mfg./weight, .223 Rem. brass, large rifle benchrest primers, Varget, RL19, RL22, TAC, and 2520 powders. We also seem to be unable to be experiencing increasing ammo and brass prices in the neighborhood of about 10% per month for the last half year or so.
I'm personally a bit scared... wondering if I should go stock up myself!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't go nuts in the 1990's panic, but I did buy primers. I am still using some of those today and the price in the 90's was a whole lot better than today, even if you could find primers. I routinely check our very few gun shops and there is definitely a shortage. There seems to be CCI and some Winchester, but there is limited Remington and practically NO Federal. Buying some extra isn't a bad idea and if you keep them stored properly, they will last for many years. Same with the powders.

Just another idea - I have used metal coffee cans for many years. And I have had a lot of brass corrode when in contact with the tin. The new plastic coffee cans are great - no problem with corrosion.

Good luck.

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that many of the component manufacturers are focusing on military orders for the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. This has probably been true for a while, but supplies downstream and in distributor warehouses have finally begun to run out.

Posts: 25 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not panic buying but there has been a lot of people stocking up due to price increases, another of which is due april 1, according to my sources, 10% across the board.

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeN:
Not panic buying but there has been a lot of people stocking up due to price increases, another of which is due april 1, according to my sources, 10% across the board.

I think you are right. Along w/ the war demands, components are not as available as in years past. Still, the local gunshow here last month had WW or RP rpimers for $102/5K.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
other than an OSHA law that was proposed and to my knowledge dropped I have not heard anything about the government going after reloading or ammo supplies, well there is the cali lead ban, some of my friends have heard that reloading items may not always be available to us, also in cabelas I saw another guy saying he was getting extra because he was afraid he would not be able to buy more. whats the deal, are you guys seeing a panic out there, it does seem like getting certain ammo has been really hard to get lately

I might panic a little about the probable future price increases, and want to buy now. But that problem pertains to everything we buy, and mainly, FOOD!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dont know about a panic but the next time i find federal primers ill buy 10K.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I have been wondering the same thing lately. Have even had trouble getting Hornady shell holders!

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote