New
Find
Notify
Tools

That darn flyer!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, guys, we've all done it . We shoot a small, three or five shot, group. All of them are close or touching except for that one that's about 3/4-1" off. You can't call it. What is the cause: you, the gun, the loads, the shooting gods? thanks, capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Is the gun bedded and the barrel floated? If floated, is it a generous float or a mild float?

Usually fliers result from the harmoics of the barrel be infringed upon during the firing of that round. As the barrel heats up, it will move slightly; if the presence of a mild float, this may cause it to hit part of the stock. If not bedded, the action can kind of squirm a bit, if you will, between shots, this, coupled with barrel heat, can intiate contact between the barrel and stock. Also, make sure that the forend is resting in the same way and on the same material each time - sometimes the recoil will affect your rest material, and hence how you grip the rifle for different shots. Also make sure that your head and cheek position stay fixed through the group, if possible. Anyway, just some thoughts...

one of us
posted Hide Post
my first 2 things to look for are,..barrel heat and cheek weld. I would bet it's a change in your cheek weld from shot to shot. I can attribute most of my flyers to it.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote