THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Bulk .224 PSP 55gr bullets, Winchester or Remington?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bulk .224 PSP 55gr bullets, Winchester or Remington?
 Login/Join

<gone hunting>
posted
Which works best for you?

------------------
Death Before Dishonor

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
gone -
Used a pile of R-P 55 PSP's in 223 and 22-250 for paper punching. Not great, not terrible. They're pretty economical, though.

R-WEST

------------------
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
Dean Vernon Wormer - 'Animal House'

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I find R/P projectiles more accurate across the board,than W/W offerings..............

<jrpilot>
posted
I know that you are looking for the rem and ww bullets but I have been using the Horn 55gr sp for years and they have been giving me .5 moa in my 223.I think that they are $12 for 250.

<gone hunting>
posted
i'll take some Hornady 55gr SP @ $12 per 250! where at?

------------------
Death Before Dishonor

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd try the Rems, if you go for the Win 55s take a mag glass & sort bullets according to cannular width, they shoot not bad that way.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
<jrpilot>
posted
I have been buying these bullets from Midsouth shooters supply.You will find them in the bulk bullet section of hornady.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had accuracy problems with the Winchesters. The Remingtons may be a bit better (I am currently using them in an AR-15 variant for relatively short-range shooting and am reasonably satisfied.) The lot of Remingtons I have are very inconsistent in the exposed lead of the nose, with some of them almost concave and others having lead prominently protruding beyond the jacket. But IF you can find Hornady, Speer, or Sierra at close to the same money, use them instead.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
If you are looking at either the Rem or the Win bulk stuff, then you are not interested in extremem accuracy, so buy whichever is cheapest..

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
To class the Remington projectiles as hopelessly inaccurate,is contrary to the 10,000 or so,I shoot yearly.

The 50gr SP's are exceptional. I've numerous rifles that will shoot them in the high .2's low .3's,consistently.

The .243" 80gr SP's their equal. Friends and I went in on an order of 7,000 of them,for the 243/243Ackley's. Accuracy comes easy,using them in both fire-forming cases and in formed brass.

The .257" 87grPLHP,the most accurate projectile in all my 25cals. Really pisses me off,they are no longer in production. The 100gr Core-lokts are superbly accurate too. I shoot a minimum of 2,000 of the 100's,per year.

The .284" 140gr Core-Lokts are extremely accurate in my 7-08's and 7mmRemmags. I shoot a couple thousand of them annualy as well.

The .308" 165gr Core-Lokt is superb also. They see use in my various 308Wins and BIG30 cals for practice. They'll stay sub .5MOA to 600yds easily,in my high end rifles,built with accuracy in mind.

I very much like the bulk Remington bullet offerings,they are a steal,for the price and performance.

I believe Hornady to make THE most accurate bullet,for the price. Their V-Max is exceptional,in every diameter I have tried(.224",.243",.257",.264",.284") and they shoot better than Ballistic Tips in all my barrels.

My sole complaint with the R/P bulk bullets,is their lackluster BC's. But that is life................

(I guess I should proof,before I Post)

[This message has been edited by Big Stick (edited 02-13-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those Remington PLHP (Plated copper over a Lead core with a Hollow Point, not a Lead core stuck in a jacket) bullets that Big Stick mentioned work REAL WELL for me too.

The are currently available "only" in 50gr and 55gr 0.224" and 80gr 0.243" styles. I use a good many of the 50gr PLHPs and find them to be VERY ACCURATE.

In my current 223Rem, they average in the 6s-8s consistently. And they work excellent on Varmints if you don't mind Exits(I don't mind). I do find Sierra Matchkings and Nosler B-Tips to be able to group in the 4s-6s in the same rifle, but they usually only come out when a BBQ supper rests on the results.

And I was pleasantly surprised to see the same kind of accuracy from the 22cal Rem PLHPs(don't remember the weight) in a recent issue of either Rifle or Handloader. The only other bullet that "matched" their accuracy in that rifle was Sierra MatchKings.

Great inexpensive bullets that I use a whole bunch of.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use them both all the time in my 222 as it shoots anything...We can shoot 500 or more rounds a day on chucks and pinheads around here, I like cheap bullets...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
sxr6 -
I had the same problems with some R-P's I got in bulk from MidSouth. The cannelures varied probably 1/8" not in width, but location. Out of 500 bullets, probably 200 or so had the cannelure in one place, and the rest had it in the other. I guess R-P uses different locations for it based on what cartridge they're loading it in? Had the same thing with a batch of 7mm - 175's.
They really are hard to beat for the price.

Ray - What's a pinhead? That's what liberals are called around here. We're not allowed to shoot them.

R-WEST

------------------
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
Dean Vernon Wormer - 'Animal House'

[This message has been edited by R-WEST (edited 02-13-2002).]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote